How do i start up my laptop for the first time?

SaraM45

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015
Okay.. i just bought a brand new ASUS X552M laptop. It has already been charging for 3 hours (as the manual said). But i don't know what to do next.
I pressed the power button and i was asked to choose a boot option (i think) and i accidentally pressed the first one. now i'm left with a screen and three choices :
1- load FreeDOS with maximum RAM free, using EMM386
2- Load FreeDOS including HIMEM XMS memory driver
3-Load FreeDOS without drivers
please help me this is my first time doing this i have no idea whats going on..
Also . In the box there was a CD that says "This disk supports Windows 8.1 64-bit only .
Thank you in advance

Okay....

I am going to guess that you are in India or some other country within that region. It seems to be common practice to for a laptop to not have a Windows operating system installed to keep prices down. Instead, the laptops have FreeDOS installed is basically your situation. It is there to allow you to install any operating system you want, but you need to purchase your own copy if you want to use Windows. Linux is a free operating system, but it is different from Windows and you probably will need a bit of help installing it and it will take time to figure out how to use it. It does not run Windows programs, but there are emulation programs you can use to run some Windows software.

My advice to you is to return the laptop for either a refund or an exchange. When looking for a new laptop make sure it lists Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 as the operating system. Otherwise, you will probably get another laptop with FreeDos.

SaraM45

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015

oh.. well thats just great .... anyway thank you very much

SaraM45

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015

im from Macedonia ... now i get why the guy at the store said that i need an usb to start the laptop.. he wasnt clear enough about the usb part ..
Thank you very much . i will go to the store first thing tomorrow and ask them for help..

USAFRet

Illustrious

I would be wary of asking *them* for assistance.
If they sold you a laptop with no real OS, knowing that you had no idea of what to actually do with it and only vague suggestions of how to proceed....
Yes, they will 'sell you' a Windows license. Will it be a valid OS license? I'd give it 90% chance no....it will be something both bogus and overpriced.

SaraM45

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015

i guess you're right .. honestly all i asked for was a functioning machine that can make my life a tad easier .. i don't know i'll probably just ask someone if they know someone that can help me ..
Again , thank you all very much .