How do I uninstall utorrent if I can't find it in Uninstall Programs (now called Apps & Features) or in any of my folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giephri

Estimable
Apr 17, 2014
A few days ago I did a clean install and redownloaded uTorrent (the latest version). The installer asked me to download some kind of suspicious program in order to install uTorrent itself. Naturally I declined and closed it. However, the idiot me decided to try again and clicked the installer a second time, and for some reason uTorrent opened up as if it was already installed. I know I closed it before it went through the installation progress, but I didn't really care as long as I downloaded it without the suspicious program.

Today I found out that uTorrent pretty much became evil, but it was too late. After hearing this, I attempted to uninstall it but I couldn't find it anywhere. It was nowhere to be found in the Uninstall settings. I looked for a uTorent folder in both Program File folders, AppData>Roaming. It didn't even install onto the Start Menu or make a desktop icon. It just opens up regularly whenever I load a torrent file.

Can anyone please tell me how to get rid of it? And also I would appreciate any ways in confirming whether or not it installed any malware or coin miners into my PC. I scanned using Malwarebytes to find two PUPs called OpenCandy but I'm not sure if they're related. I also used CCleaner and happily found uTorrent in Tools>Uninstall option. However, it gave me this error: "Error: 2 - The system cannot find the file specified". I'm quite paranoid.

Solution
when utorrent is running, you should be able to see it in task manager and have options of:
properties (should tell where the file is)
open file localtion (should open explorer to where it is)

alternate more tricky ways are to root around registry for .torrent and what is used to open it.
then search for that and so on.

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
when utorrent is running, you should be able to see it in task manager and have options of:
properties (should tell where the file is)
open file localtion (should open explorer to where it is)

alternate more tricky ways are to root around registry for .torrent and what is used to open it.
then search for that and so on.

Solution

Giephri

Estimable
Apr 17, 2014
It worked. This is genius! Thank you very much.

I am ashamed to say that I was looking at the wrong AppData folder at first... uTorrent was in the actual folder where it was supposed to be. My bad.

GotAnotherProblem1

Commendable
May 3, 2016

I've gone through task manager to locate the utorrent files, what do I do from here? I can't see an option to uninstal

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015

Better question is, what are you trying to do? Original poster had utorrent installed to non-normal localtion with no uninstall option in normal programs/features list and it was running on startup.

Is it running on it's own?
Is it only utorrent.exe? (for me, it is.. I don't like most recent bloatware version)
Do you just want to get rid of it?

kalrhs

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

How do you unistall after locating the files? I don't see an uninstall file. I no longer want to use this..

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
Well, there are always options to do other things like deleting the files and removing registry entries that auto-run utorrent on startup.
If it is the executable only, remove autorun on startup from within utorrent (options, preferences, general, remove start utorrent on system startup)
then delete file and if autorun error messages persist, disable autorun from within task managers start-up tab.

BANGLADESH1971

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016
Hello bro,
Dont't worry. The uttorrent comes with a package that's just extract in this directory "...\AppData\Roaming" and you don't have to uninstall it.so what u have to do?
> Go to your system drive
>check the option for hidden folder
>select app data
>select roaming
>then find utorrent folder & delete that
>run task manager>startup> and disable utorrent
>then go to ".....\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu..."
and delete that shortcut from the start menu
thats all
:bounce:
And if u are finding a good torrent software u should try qbitorrent
its better and faster than bitorrent and utorrent and it has no paid version and its free

Status
Not open for further replies.