How do I use HDTV as a Computer monitor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
TheOnlyPenguin, just thought about something; maybe if you connect another monitor to get the CCC activate two display and may release the other resollutions. It might not recognize that you're installing TV therefore the TV resolution is not available. Just my hunch.

TheOnlyPenguin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
my dvi-hdmi cable arrived today. all is well in the world of resolutions. my samsung is running at the proper resolution of 1360x768. the limiting factor was the s-video cable. thanks for all the help folks.

note to the OP...if you plan on using a hdtv as a monitor make sure to pick up a the proper cabling to get full use of your hardware.

garungit

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
sorry, i'm a newbie of hdtv world. Can I ask one question.
I am using SS r8 http://www.samsung.com/my/products/television/lcdtv/la32r81b.asp?page=Specifications and video card http://www.amtech.com.vn/product_info.php?cPath=23_147_185&products_id=2037 with dvi-i output. What do I need to hook up my hdtv to pc. With one dvi to hdmi cable only???? As i know, there are many kinds of dvi (dvi-a, dvi-d, dvi-i....) and quality of dvi/hdmi cable, how to get quality picture on hdtv (for gaming and movie playback purpose). Which dvi-hdmi kind I should order (single link, dual link dvi-d to hdmi or dvi/hdmi adapter+hdmi/hdmi cable) Which is better?? Plexus dvi-d dual link -hdmi is good enough for connection ??? I look forward to sumlock and rexter's fast reply.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Here's a quick note:

ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO - DVI Max Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Samsung LA32R81B - Resolution: 1366 x 768
DVI cable: Dual Link Digital connection supports display resolutions up to 2048 x 1536.

DVI-D - True Digital Video
DVI-D cables are used for direct digital connections between source video (namely, video cards) and digital LCD (or rare CRT) monitors. This provides a faster, higher-quality image than with analog, due to the nature of the digital format. All video cards initially produce a digital video signal, which is converted into analog at the VGA output. The analog signal travels to the monitor and is re-converted back into a digital signal. DVI-D eliminates the analog conversion process and improves the connection between source and display.

DVI-A - High-Res Analog
DVI-A cables are used to carry a DVI signal to an analog display, such as a CRT monitor or budget LCD. The most common use of DVI-A is connecting to a VGA device, since DVI-A and VGA carry the same signal. There is some quality loss involved in the digital to analog conversion, which is why a digital signal is recommended whenever possible.

DVI-I - The Best of Both Worlds
DVI-I cables are integrated cables which are capable of transmitting either a digital-to-digital signal or an analog-to-analog signal. This makes it a more versatile cable, being usable in either digital or analog situations.
Like any other format

The Digital formats are available in DVI-D Single-Link and Dual-Link as well as DVI-I Single-Link and Dual-Link format connectors. These DVI cables send information using a digital information format called TMDS (transition minimized differential signaling). Single link cables use one TMDS 165Mhz transmitter, while dual links use two. The dual link DVI pins effectively double the power of transmission and provide an increase of speed and signal quality; i.e. a DVI single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1200, while a DVI dual link can display a resolution of 2560 x 1600.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

I used DVI-I just because it doesn't matter what screen you'll connect it to, It'll handel it. However HDMI is pure Digital so it can use DVI-D only.

niebling

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
I have a PhD, but all this stuff stumps me.

Simple Question: I have a PC with S-video and VGA output, and I plan to build PC's with HDMI output in the future...

I want to purchase a Flat Panel LCD tuner/monitor that can display my computer movie files via S-vid or VGA.

I have Digital Cable and do not need HDTV television, but could conceivable need it in the future.

Do I need an HDTV "Capable", "Ready" or just a Digital Analog LCD TV. I am looking for 22 inches or above.

Thanks in advance.

Ken Niebling (pls help: ken_niebling@yahoo.com)

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Most LCD monitor has minimum amount of input connections; usually HDMI + DVI and VGA, more expensive monitors have the following extras; Component Video, HDMI or DVI inputs depending on make and models. Just make sure you connect your audio accordingly.

If your cable box has HDMI then your connection would be HDMI for Digital Box, VGA for PC. But when you get your new PC then switch your connection to HDMI for PC and VGA for the Box. If you do not have HDMI on your box then use component video for the box and VGA for your PC.

The following inputs below are good to have on your monitor purchase if you can find one on your budget.
1 or 2 HDMI input
1 DVI input
1 VGA input
1 Component Video
1 Audio in
1 Audio out
USB connection is always good to have.
So make sure you know what connection you will be using before buying one. Otherwise, you’ll be spending more on cables you don’t have to, unless you already have them.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
This thread is 2 yrs old now - it's always best if you start a new one instead of tagging onto an old one, esp. with some of the 'necro thread-hungry' mods around :p.

Anyway, I think Mr. Niebling (who is advised not to post his email address in a public forum where a bot crawler can extract it, unless he likes getting spam :)), was asking more about an HDTV, not just a monitor. IIRC even the cheaper brands such as Vizio usually have 3-4 HDMI inputs on their larger - 37" and above - HDTVs. And I think that all HDTVs sold in the USA since the mandatory digital conversion last summer are required to have an ATSC (over-the-air) digital tuner and a clear-QAM (over cable) digital tuner. So if you buy a new TV, it will automatically have the necessary tuners onboard to either use digital cable or an antenna for over-the-air digital reception.

Personally I have a PC hooked up to use a 50" plasma HDTV as a second monitor, for displaying streaming video (as for example this past spring when watching the final Lost episodes from ABC TV in HD after missing the broadcast episode. It did require a bit of effort, as even after setting up the TV as a second display in Windows 7 (which automatically detected the proper resolution & refresh rate for 1080P: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz), the Windows desktop did not fit on the TV due to overscan. After I adjusted the HDMI input on the TV to not scale (i.e., dot-by-dot as Pioneer calls it), the desktop fit perfectly onto the TV.

Anyway, I now have an AV receiver connected to both the PC and a PS3 gaming console, via HDMI cables, and the TV connected to the receiver by HDMI cable. So whenever I want to play a console or PC game, stream video, connect to other media servers in the house for music or video, etc, I get 7.1 full surround sound plus a beautiful picture on the plasma TV. So watching Avatar on Blu-Ray on the PS3, or as a stored file on the PC, same stunning picture and room-filling sound.

I've used the USB connection on the TV before, but it's a bit klunky navigating an externa HD or memory drive using the TV's file browser, so instead I now have an external HD connected to a Netgear router with a USB port, so now the entire network can share the files & storage. Sorta a cheap media server without the media server interface, and since the TV also has a LAN connection, it can still access the external drive.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
its 2010, the burn-in issue on plasma, is not as much of a problem these days.. unless u have a tv that was made back in 2008, 2009/2010 tvs are fine

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
i dont think u'll need a tv with audio in or out, if ur gonna connect your PC to a TV, since u can use external speakers, or passives connected to a recevier.