How do I use the AVST tools? And will that take care of the issues?

willneal977

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
I updated Windows to 8.1 and I was using Chrome for my browser chrome updated to Chromium Avast came with it. It installed on my C drive. I'm getting Rumage pop ups I paid once for repairs. Windows informed me that to start up in safe mode To detect issues. I did a full scan Windows fixed it. As soon I it booted up Rumage kept telling everything was crashing, Windows help me figure out it was Avast causing problems. I tried to delete it .Windows said I couldn't it would delete everything on Windows. What can I do?

Solution
Uninstalling Avast from your computer will definitely not "delete everything on Windows" :) So I'm concerned here, as JoshRoss is, that you may have an infection or other issue that is not related to Avast, happening here.

You mentioned that you are using a program called Rummage, is this it? http://getrummage.com/

Some screenshots of the exact error messages you are seeing would be very helpful in narrowing down what exactly it is that you are seeing, and why.

I would also recommend that you follow Josh's steps to thoroughly scan your PC for infections as well as ensure important files are backed up, etc. If you are confident that your system is clean and safe, I would recommend running an Online Repair of Avast to see if that...

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Very interesting situation. Can you try doing the following to deny any potential malware? If this comes out clean, we can try some solutions. Although I would love for an official Avast representative to comment on this.

1. Install and run RKill to kill malicious processes and services
2. Check your Programs and features and see if there are any new recently installed programs that you don’t recognize. If there are, remove them.
3. Check your task manager for any suspicious processes, if found, identify folders and try to remove them manually. Or just "Win key + R" and type %appdata%. Afterward, delete potentially malicious folders.
4. Do a full scan with anti-virus software of your choice or use Windows Defender to clean up initial infections.
5. Scan your PC with Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes, and AdwCleaner. Multiple anti-malware solutions will confirm that the threat was removed.

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Uninstalling Avast from your computer will definitely not "delete everything on Windows" :) So I'm concerned here, as JoshRoss is, that you may have an infection or other issue that is not related to Avast, happening here.

You mentioned that you are using a program called Rummage, is this it? http://getrummage.com/

Some screenshots of the exact error messages you are seeing would be very helpful in narrowing down what exactly it is that you are seeing, and why.

I would also recommend that you follow Josh's steps to thoroughly scan your PC for infections as well as ensure important files are backed up, etc. If you are confident that your system is clean and safe, I would recommend running an Online Repair of Avast to see if that resolves your issues (Control Panel -> Programs -> Highlight Avast and click Change -> Select Online Repair)

Solution

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
If you are unsure on how to post pictures, you can add them to your Dropbox or an image uploading website. It may sound tedious and annoying when we are asking for more details, but recommend you uncertain solutions is something none of us wants :)