How do you open a file with an extension like ".jpg_" ".png_"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasmazza3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
These images are used by an application, but I want to be able to get to the images themselves (just open them like a normal image file). I tried just changing the application extensions, but the files aren't recognized by photo viewer. I have no idea why that underscore is there. Any ideas?

Solution

SNA3

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

did you try to rename them *.JPG ? and *.png? and did you enable "show Extention" ?

vegasmazza3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008

Yes, I tried that already. The file type changes, but nothing shows up when you try to view the image.

The application was installed using Adobe Air

vegasmazza3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008

I just tried getting rid of the underscore. GIMP doesn't open the file, with or without the underscore.

vegasmazza3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008

I tried copying the image file folder to the desktop and then changing it; still doesn't work. I believe I have the permissions. I read somewhere that the underscore might mean that the files are somehow compressed (or encrypted?), but I'm not sure how decompress them without actually using the program. The program can use the images...

I read the same thing you did about the _ indicating the file is either compressed or encrypted. I hope you find the answer.

vegasmazza3

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008

I honestly have no idea. It's pretty hard to search for a common file extension, add an underscore and still find anything remotely related. Could it be an Adobe Air thing?

It must be an Adobe Air thing since the images will only open with Air.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.