How do you usually identify?

7GLuke

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015
Bit of a random question but how do you guys usually identify that your computer is infected? First time using Windows in quite a while and I am a lot more cautious on here. Cautious to the point that I am going on websites on my iPhone and worrying they will infect my Windows PC through the WiFi network.

How would you guys usually know you are infected?

Thank you dudes!

Gamer Cat

Estimable
May 11, 2015
You shouldn't have anything to worry about, but you can always scan your computer via a antivirus in both regular and safe modes and run something like Malwarebytes in safe mode as well.

7GLuke

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015

Alright cool! That's another thing I didn't really know about since I came back. At the moment I am just using the built-in Windows defender.

Gamer Cat

Estimable
May 11, 2015
I am not extremely fond of Microsoft's own antivirus.

I recommend using a third-party antivirus, such as Avast, AVG, Avira, or Bitdefender for a free antivirus or Avira, Kaspersky, or Bitdefender for paid.

7GLuke

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015

Hmm, which one would you recommend? There are so many different options out there.

Gamer Cat

Estimable
May 11, 2015
Sorry that I did not respond earlier, but I do love both Avira and Bitdefender.

Both worked well for me - I am currently using Avira and have no plans of going back to Bitdefender again.

7GLuke

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015

I will have a think about both of these! Thank you for the support dude, I appreciate that a lot!

Victorion

Estimable
Nov 9, 2015
I never use any type of anti-virus or anti-malware program anymore.
If (which basically never happens anymore) my programs act strangely, I run hijackthis to detect browser hijacking locations and unwanted entries.
Be aware though, that you have to know what you´re doing, as removing wrong entries may result in programs including windows not booting/starting up properly or at all.