How does Facebook display relevant ads for things that they should not have info about?

southwestform

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014
I never post on Facebook, and will use it only on my phone during downtime once every couple days to waste some time. I also use a system wide content blocker on my iphone. I have noticed in the past that ads will display in Facebook that are very relevant to things that might be happening in my life. My wife took my daughter to a play place, specifically a place that has trampolines, and today I see an ad for another place that is similar and has trampolines; too much of a coincidence. I am trying to figure out what specifically is the link between the physical world and the ads that display. My wife did not post anything on Facebook about the place yesterday, and she did not email me anything, though she did send some photos and videos through iMessage to me while she was there. That is the only thing I can think of. Any ideas what could be causing these types of ads to display?

Thanks.

Solution
the entire purpose of the iphone and android platforms is to track you.
the phone was tracked via GPS coordinates. the phone told apple where she was and ad partners (facebook) exploited that to the desired effect, desired for them.
I am sure the photos and videos were geotagged (contained the GPS of where the picture was taken)
with the phones ID and the GPS its easy to cross reference and find advertisers in the area.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39947942

R_1

Estimable
Herald
the entire purpose of the iphone and android platforms is to track you.
the phone was tracked via GPS coordinates. the phone told apple where she was and ad partners (facebook) exploited that to the desired effect, desired for them.
I am sure the photos and videos were geotagged (contained the GPS of where the picture was taken)
with the phones ID and the GPS its easy to cross reference and find advertisers in the area.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39947942

Solution

southwestform

Estimable
Jun 9, 2014
I have location info not saved to photos and videos I take with my iPhone. I doubt her phone has this disabled though. It is likely that the GPS coordinates are contained in the photos and videos she sent me via iMessage. Are you saying that this might have resulted from the info contained in the photos/videos she sent me via iMessage? OR her Facebook on her phone determined where she was and used it for advertising? Even if so, how did i get an ad for the competing business on my Facebook?

Thanks.