how large is the magnification of 50 2.5 macro than 50 1.8?

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015
hello I'm just curious with macro lenses since I haven't had one.

situation: I am deciding which will I buy. 50mm f1.2 or 50mm 2.5 macro. I have a Japanese customer and he wants me to take pictures of different insects. but I want to know if I can still use this after this project.

questions:
a. are there any other for these macro lenses?
b. can it focus if the subject is too far? for example Taylor Swift full body from far away?
c. is there any cheaper alternatives for 50 2.5 in tamron, sigma or samyang?

Solution
The 2.5 macro isn't all that great and not really macro either (without the macro extension). Since you have a 760D, might as well check out the 65mm EF-S macro (true 1:1) or 100mm 2.8 macro (bit more expensive). Both can be rented for very cheap

Dbrimm

Estimable
Jul 19, 2015
You won't be limited in your ability to focus on things at a distance so no worries there. The macro lens will just (typically) let you focus on things closer than a non-macro. So in your insect example you might take the picture from 3-4" (see lens info min focus distance) instead of the 12-18" of the non-macro, etc.

I don't know about cheaper stuff, my experience is primarily limited to mid to upper range Canon stuff.

The 2.5 macro isn't all that great and not really macro either (without the macro extension). Since you have a 760D, might as well check out the 65mm EF-S macro (true 1:1) or 100mm 2.8 macro (bit more expensive). Both can be rented for very cheap

Solution

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

ah alright. thanks it's a relief

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

is't the 65mm is usm or stm? I tried to shoot a moth but I think it hears my focusing so it just flies.
so it will reduce the magnification if I use it in my 5d?

1) 60mm (my mistake) and 100mm f2.8 are both USM, though for macro you'll be using manual focus with focus capture instead (faster and no noise)
2) The 50mm compact macro is NOT a macro, rather it can be converted into one using an (expensive) optional adapter that DOES reduce maximum focus distance (though you can take the adapter off easily)
3) The reason it flies away is that you are getting too close. Consider a longer lens like the 100mm or even the 135mm macro or 180mm macro if that's an issue. Note that your macro-flash also produces noise, so consider moving the pack slightly further away
4) The magnification is always 1:1 for a true macro on any camera body it supports (the 60mm will NOT work on a 5D or 1D), but the effective "magnification" (number of pixels on the subject) will depend on pixel density (760D will have more pixels for the same 1:1 image)

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015

I have a mistake too you can't mount an ef-s to ef lens mount since it will struck the mirror.