How Many Kins Did Microsoft Sell in Two Months?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]proxy711[/nom]Ya hows that health care working for you guys?oh you're still waiting for them to attach that finger you lost 4 months ago...[/citation]

Don't spread FUD. It doesn't work that way.

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]The phone world right now is Android vs. iPhone. There are no other players that matter.[/citation]

No, the phone world in the US - and US only. Elsewhere, other systems hold majority share. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]No, the phone world in the US - and US only. Elsewhere, other systems hold majority share. Sorry to burst your bubble.[/citation]

Very true. I live in the UK and I don't know a single person that has an android phone. Most people have iPhones or are planning on buying iPhones. Some have blackberries. I've certainly never seen a facebook update saying one of my friends installed the android facebook app.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
[citation][nom]nicklasd87[/nom]I didn't even know Kin was launched...[/citation]

I didn't even know Kin existed... really.

abcdeasdfasdf

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
A feature phone with smartphone tag... rocket scientist anyone?

Kin is not in Canada, thankful or not. I was shocked one of the model like a hockey puck does exist, I thought it was just HTML coding error when I saw one ad.

Windows Mobile and Palm OS even as phones can run completely independent of computer; adding up appropriate freeware software pieces to them then they are miniature computers minus the hardcore gaming. Same is not true to Kin.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Kin? I read those only in websites and magazines.
When die microsoft launch it? What is the price? Where to find it?
And perhaps, What is that thing anyway?

I didn't even get a chance to take a look or try or touch it even for 1 second. I can't find it anywhere in stores.
If microsoft hopes that people will buy something they have never heard of or even saw it, then.. microsoft is really stupid.

Now they stopped the production and abandon those Kins?
This is just like stop producing and abandoning something which never exists.

The marketing strategy is really awful, if I may say so myself.

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
[citation][nom]jaysbob[/nom]wtf is a kin?[/citation]

Slide your fingers, somewhere warm. Slide your fingers, where it stinks.

Tonkyboy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
Never heard of a Kin. I'm in UK, and I know of no one who has an Android phone, only about a dozen people who have an iPhone, so to say that "most" people here have an iPhone is a little inaccurate.
Most people here don't have smart phones. I used to have a Samsung smartphone with Windows mobile on it. Emphasis on USED to own one. Never again. It crashed about 3 times a day, so I got a warranty replacement, and guess what? That crashed about 3 times a day too. I went back to my old Sony Ericsson W810i, about 5 - 6 years old and it works a treat.

Smart phone = Dumb phone.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]hanrak[/nom]Slide your fingers, somewhere warm. Slide your fingers, where it stinks.[/citation]

I've got one hand in the oven and the other hand is in my sock! This isn't working out.

G

No Tonky- Samsung do not do good smartphone--

I have used smartphones from the XDA2 Exec all WinMO and they are anything from dumb, simple PEBKAC issues 99% of the time, just like a PC/MAC

Tonkyboy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
Mori, you may well be right, and I will submit to your experiences over my own limited ones, but the phone crashing on me and having to remove the battery just to reset it is not a PEBKAC error. For now, I'll keep my W810i, until I really must have something else. I have laptops and PC's for everyting else I need right now.

mbcluigi

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
[citation][nom]proxy711[/nom]Ya hows that health care working for you guys?oh you're still waiting for them to attach that finger you lost 4 months ago...[/citation]

"There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on --shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again."

You're right.Electing the person that said the above for 2 consecutive presidential terms to be an acting commander and chief, start a war, cut taxes while increasing the national debt by 5.7 trillion to a total of 11.3 trillion (currently over 13 trillion) would be much better.

G

Personally I think people are used to being wowed from Apple about phones. Microsoft just does not know how to market to get interest in their products.

svetoslav_sj

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

Did I hust hear you finished paying that medical bill from 8 years ago proxy711? Ohhh nooo - 2 more years left :(
Go play with uncle Rush and aunt Palin genuis!

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I own one.

Yep. It's really for the wife but I'm using it until christmas when my secondary line is due for another free upgrade.

Impressions: It's actually a pretty nice device. The feature set is limited but what features it has it does well. The interface is something that higher end phones could learn from. Awesome interface. It makes the iPhone look very "windows 3.1"

The "cloud phone" part is the best really. I have kids and do a lot of photos and videos. It's got a great camera and all storage is in the cloud. So I snap shots and they goto the web with geotags with no action on my part. The kin studio where you access everything is something I hope appears in other phones. It's really slick.

Where MSFT screwed up: The data plan pricing. This thing actually uses a LOT of data (more than iphone/droid depending on use). I've confirmed with my own usage check. Nobody else knows this though so the data plan seems outrageous.

*Everyone* who I've given the dog-and-pony demo to has been much impressed by the phone (even some MS haters). Two even bought one after I showed them.

Bummer it's dead. I'm almost to the 30 day return window on it but I'm definately keeping it. Very fun device. I'll be envious of the cloud and studio features when I have to give it up to the wife in a few months.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
A sensible number of display units per store would be about three or four. Considering these units are aimed at convincing customers this is the phone for them, Verizon staff would have to download all kinds of applications to flesh out the experience and show customers what it's really like to own a Kin.

Every Verizon store I've been in uses dummy phones, never once have I see a real one. Maybe they only do it in large stores like in SF and NY. Either way, this is flawed logic as most verizon stores are small and would have only a single display model.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Hated the ad campaign. If you are going to visit your entire social network in person, wtf do you need the phone for? Just go see them, you "social butterfly with a worthless arts degree" you ...

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
It certainly looks like a POS, what does MS expect? Hmmm on one hand I got this ugly looking piece of crap or hmmm how about this sexy droid, iPhone or N1? Ya for sure with all this choice I am certainly gonna pick the ugliest phone on the planet. /end sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.