Solved! How to Add an SSD to Laptop With HDD and ODD

Oct 4, 2019
Hi! I have an Asus X540U and I'm planning to upgrade my laptop's Optical Disk Drive to an SSD, but I've only managed to list the steps on installing the SSD so far.

1. Buy a Caddy that's the same size as my ODD. (9mm in my case)
  2. Buy an SSD (going for the low 128 GB)
  3. Simply install the caddy and SSD.
Now my questions are:
  1. Do I need to add something to my motherboard to connect the caddy?
  2. Do I need to transfer my OS to the SSD to really experience fast booting?
  3. If so, how can I transfer it?
  4. What will happen to my HDD files? (programs and etc.)
  5. I've read somewhere that I need to partition my new SSD, what does that do?
Thanks in advance for the help! (complete noob here)

Solution
  1. No,before that check to see if your laptop has an internal m.2 SATA III or NVME port, if you do have a free m.2 slot in your laptops mother board then you can easily install an m.2 SSD on you laptop search youtube for guides on doing so.
  2. Yes, for faster boot time and general performance boost you need to migrate your os. And it is good practice to store frequently utilised apps and games on that ssd as well.
  3. There are several trusted third party softwares available to migrate your os, Minitool partition helper is an example.
4.After successfully migrating the OS your apps installed in the windows folder will be moved to the ssd.
5. Partitioning SSD doesent do much other than management of space it is better to avoid...
Aug 1, 2019
  1. No,before that check to see if your laptop has an internal m.2 SATA III or NVME port, if you do have a free m.2 slot in your laptops mother board then you can easily install an m.2 SSD on you laptop search youtube for guides on doing so.
  2. Yes, for faster boot time and general performance boost you need to migrate your os. And it is good practice to store frequently utilised apps and games on that ssd as well.
  3. There are several trusted third party softwares available to migrate your os, Minitool partition helper is an example.
4.After successfully migrating the OS your apps installed in the windows folder will be moved to the ssd.
5. Partitioning SSD doesent do much other than management of space it is better to avoid that hassle.

Solution