How to assign applications to different sound outputs?

algis87

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Hello,
I use my pc to watch movies. It is connected to my tv via hdmi and sound system via SPDIF optical cable. Everything works fine, but sometimes I want listen to music or other apps through my headphones, while someone else listens through sound system.
How can I do that?
unledud.jpg

Windows 7 volume mixer shows both outputs and I can control the sound of different apps and mute them, but I can't assign specific applications (music player, browser) to other sound outputs.
One time the browser was assigned to speakers (headphones) rather than SPDIF, but I couldn't assign apps myself.
Thanks in advance.

kkmisterkk

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

That app works perfectly. Even on windows 10, I have it up and running making various bits of audio go out of 3 different audio outputs! Only downside is it isn't able to send different windows of the same app to different outputs, IE All chrome tabs/windows will use the same output and all firefox tabs/windows will use the same output, etc.

And it's not free, but $20 bucks is worth it IMO.

Damieneros

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Also have windows 10 and tried the trial but I couldn't get it to work. Basically tried to switch the sound from firefox away from the default device and no dice so I uninstalled. Are there any steps I need to follow to get it to work?

blizza

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Better than CheVolume is AudioRouter:

https://github.com/audiorouterdev/audio-router

It being free doesn't hurt. I bought CheVolume which worked fine, but once I reformatted I'm getting an error that I've exceeded the activation limit for my license key. That's all well and good but the support at CheVolume has not replied to me despite repeated attempts to contact them. So in my opinion don't waste your money as it might not work long term for you.

asifmistry

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

Any installation instructions on the Audio router?

Tyler_131

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

You have to go to the download link within the readme, there is an .exe in there.