ivikop

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
Hey guys long story short I have a laptop equipped with a GTX 860m and I can't find anywhere whether it's a 2GB or a 4GB one. When I go to Dxdiag it says approximate total memory: 4020mb. I do also have Intel HD 4600 if that has to do with anything. But for example on DayZ settings where I can set the graphics card memory it goes up to 2048mb. Also how can I know if it's Kepler or Maxwell?

Thanks for your help Cheers

ivikop

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
Hey guys, thanks for all of your answers, I did download GPU-Z and it turns out it's Maxwell and it is indeed 2gb. But then how come dxdiag says that the approx total VRAM is 4020mb? That's what's confusing me

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
dxdiag is not that useful for checking. It is looking at the total memory assigned for DX functions when you run it. So 4GB of memory might be what the Intel HD is consuming from the system, or a total between both the Nvidia GPU and the Intel HD.

As an example my old GTX580 loved to consume system memory, and it would report my GPUs as having 4GB when they really only had 1.5GB on board and had reserved 2.5GB from the system memory.

If you fire up resource monitor you can sometimes tell, but I've never needed to in a laptop before. I just roll with whatever config they come up with.