How to connect a Home theater system to a computer

Hussain Shabbir

Estimable
Oct 18, 2014
How to connect Sony DAV-DZ270 to a computer? As this system come with a DVD player, that has the amplifier built in.
I want to only connect the 5 speakers and 1 sub woofer to my computer so that I can enjoy 5.1 sound on my computer. I want to remove the DVD player that It comes with so That I can enjoy my movies and sound through my computer alone.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Solution
You can't actually remove the DVD player since that is the only way to control and power the speakers. The "DVD" has optical and coax digital audio inputs. These will give you the best quality if your PC has either. If your mobo doesn't have them you can add a soundcard that does without spending much. Your Sony also has L/R analog inputs that you can connect to the front speaker outs of the PC but the surround will not be nearly as good.

Jim90

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Without looking up the specs of your Sony unit, the general procedure would be to note the input options e.g. SPDIF and phono commonly appear.

You'd then note the audio output options on your PC, whether from the motherboard's own audio solution - or - from any dedicated audio card you have added to the PC.

SPDIF/digital would be the preferred option, though analogue options (e.g. 3.5mm speaker jacks on PC to phono inputs on Sony) are acceptable (try to keep the analogue cable runs to a minimum and/or use good quality shielded cable - trial and error here since cheaper cable can still give good results).

Which ever option you chose you will need the corresponding cable and connectors - e.g. search Amazon for "phono to 3.5mm 10m" for a 10m cable with phono at one end and 3.5mm jack on the other. Digital cables such as SPDIF can use simple phono leads depending on the plug ends.

You might also need to set/confirm the audio routing on your PC's audio software - so that the 'default' output matches your needs, and, select 5.1 an the output option.
Additionally, if using SPDIF, you might need to match the Sony unit's expected sample rate e.g. 48kHz. Both the PC's audio software and the Sony unit might have options for this.

Lots of resources online e.g. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00501081, http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=S/PDIF

You can't actually remove the DVD player since that is the only way to control and power the speakers. The "DVD" has optical and coax digital audio inputs. These will give you the best quality if your PC has either. If your mobo doesn't have them you can add a soundcard that does without spending much. Your Sony also has L/R analog inputs that you can connect to the front speaker outs of the PC but the surround will not be nearly as good.

Solution