How to connect my Dell Inspiron laptop (VGA port) to my Samsung LED TV (HDMI port) to use it as monitor?

Bee___

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
I have been trying for days to connect my laptop to my tv without any result. I have a VGA converter and connected all my wires but my tv doesn't find my laptop. I am not an IT expert at all so any detailed instruction would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Randale

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
This has helped me some. But I can not get my TV OLEVIA flat screen to STAY on the HDMI word when I hit the source button. It just flips to the next words nothing to do with HDMI. The cord is attached on both ends, and the cord is new bought it yesterday. The TV only has one other cord the electrical cord. The screen is blue and says NO SIGNAL then I start going through the list of "source" words. I don't know what to do.
Does a TV have to be using cable services to work for this? We only have high speed internet for our computers.
Thank you.Antoinette

KaosEngineer

Estimable
Dec 1, 2016
The VGA to HDMI cables are a joke. They do not convert the analog video of VGA to the digital signal of a true HDMI port. You'll need a converter box that takes in the computer's analog signal via the VGA cable and outputs digital to the TV through an HDMI cable. This device will have a power supply and not be a simple cable with a VGA connector on one end and an HDMI connector on the other end.

KaosEngineer

Estimable
Dec 1, 2016

Is it actually a convertor box that you connect from you computer to and then from it via an HDMI cable to your TV. Or is it one of these VGA connector on one end HDMI connector on the other end cables (which will not work for what you want). The simple cable with the correct connectors on both ends is passive and does nothing for you ( to me just a scam to part consumer's from their money for what they think is needed ). It's not that simple however an active device is required to take in the computer's analog signal via the VGA connector and convert it to the digital signal the TV expects on its HDMI input.