How to connect old Sony Surround System to new TV & Box

forbesman

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
Hi. My 10 year old Panasonic Viera gave up the ghost recently. Not being in the financial position to buy such a good TV nowadays I've bought a Blaupunkt LED to replace it. I have been trying to connect it up with a Sony Home Entertainment System. Approx 10 years old. It's a Sony S-Master. The new TV and xBox One have HDMI ports but the old Sony system has 1 scart port and 2 red/white (aux?) ports only. I've connected the Sony system to the TV via scart, which allows me to play DVD's with the surround sound. Could anyone tell me how to get it to work with Sky and the xBox please. I've been b*ggering around with cables on and off for days with no luck. Thank you

Sky and Xbox to TV with HDMI .
If the TV has a headphone jack or analog RCA outputs use them. Likely it only has optical audio out. If so then you need a DAC to convert the optical to stereo analog audio, Set the TV to output in s channel or PCM. On some TVs you have to turn the optical audio on and maybe turn the TV speakers off to get it to work.
Set the Sony to a surround mode for a stereo source (Dolby Prologic or Movie).

forbesman

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
Thanks for your response.

So to clarify, are you saying: connect Sky to TV via HDMI, connect xbox to TV with seperate HDMI, then RCA from TV to Sony system?

I don't have "s channel" or " PCM" as options on TV output. These are the options I have when I press "source" button: HDMI 1,2,3, Freeview, Analogue, Composite/AV, Scart, Component/YPbPr.

Thank you

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
THEBDC Streaming Video & TVs 7
kris192 Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 2
A Streaming Video & TVs 3
T Streaming Video & TVs 2
K Streaming Video & TVs 4
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 1