how to connect old VCR to Element electronics LED HD TV

simonchipmunk

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
I have a Magnavox Video Cassette Recorder,ModelVR3210AT01( manufactured in 1990), and would like to connect it to my Element electronics 23 in. LED HD TV. On the back it has the Cable in and Cable out connections, and Video In, Audio in, and video Out, audio Out connections.
I have an Rf modulator but don't know if this will solve the problem.i already have a sound box connected to the audio plug ins on the TV.element electronics put out poor sound.
I tried connecting it via the Cable in and Cable out connections, but it did not work.
I appreciate any advice recommendations offered.
simonchipmunk

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Does the TV have a Composite Video input connection? (That would be a phono connector, usually colour-coded yellow, like the red/white ones that are usually used for audio.) If so, and assuming the VCR doesn't have a similar set of connections (you wouldn't be asking the question if it was that obvious!), you should be able to find a SCART to Phono cable/adaptor that will allow you to connect its SCART video output to the TV's composite input.

simonchipmunk

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
Yes the TV has composite and component connections.
Can I just connect the white and yellow connectors of a composite cable from the TV to the white and yellow connectors on the VCR, and not use the red plug ins ?
That leaves the problem of how to connect the Sound box so I get good sound.

Jan 30, 2016
Only the yellow cable carries video. The red and white ones each carry an audio channel (left and right) in order to get stereo. Check to see if the VCR has a separate AUDIO OUT for those two. Run cables from those outputs to your receiver/amp and you should be good. Alternatively, you could also feed all three to the TV and use its audio outputs if the VCR doesn't have one.

robert600

Distinguished
"Yes the TV has composite and component connections."

I don't want to confuse the issue but ... if your VCR also has component output - you'd get a much better video signal using these connectors. So that would be 5 cables - 3 for the video and 2 for the stereo audio.

simonchipmunk

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
I must apologize, for failing to mention,that the Audio in, and out ports are white, and the video ports for in and out are yellow
The TV does not have a scart connection, and neither does the VCR.
I only want to watch videos from my collection.