How to connect STB to Blu Ray recorder

tattoopup

Commendable
Oct 11, 2017
I have an STB, Blu Ray Recorder (Panasonic BWT 720EB) and a TV (Panasonic TX-L47ET5B). I would like to record from the STB to the blu ray, the STB has composite out and HDMI out – at the moment the HDMI from the STB goes to the TV. You cannot use both the HDMI and composite at the same time.

I tried connecting the “Panasonic TV composite connector cable” that came in the box to take the TV picture via that to the scart input on the blu ray and that failed as I then found out the socket on the TV was for input only so I got no picture.

I tried the composite only on the STB to scart on the blu ray and that worked but was told politely by the missus that “we” would not be watching TV like that all the time, so I had to quickly rule that one out.

Is there another way I can keep the HDMI to the TV so we can watch FHD/HD channels and have another connection going to my blu ray so I can still record if I wanted to (I don’t mind recording in a lesser quality to watch later)?

Appreciate any help you can give me on this.

tattoopup

Commendable
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for your help, why is nothing ever easy eh? :)

I was thinking about this yesterday. The HDMI splitter is a good idea but the input on the blu ray is scart only so in order to get around this I would need some kind of splitter that allows HDMI input (from the STB) to 2 outputs, 1 scart & 1 HDMI if that exists, then one output (HDMI) would go the TV, the other (scart) could go the blu ray.

If this isn't possible....I did also come up with another idea last night, I have a single output HDMI splitter here already (1 input, 3 outputs) - In theory I could have the STB input to the splitter, 1 HDMI out to the TV and 1 HDMI output to scart converter going to the blu ray. Yes this would mean I could only use either the TV or the blu ray to record but if I am recording something I wouldn't be watching it anyway :)

Sorry if this sounds all over the place but if you could see how manic the setup is here you'd understand. I have managed to sort out everything else since installing a VPN but this is doing my nut in.

Martin.