How to eliminate echo from microphone

Judewang

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
I have installed the Audition 3 on windows 7 OS and I am using separate mic and headphones.
When I started to record my voice on Audition, somehow I just could not record my voice on real time - there are a few ms lapse before records. How do I go about eliminating this problem?

Solution
audio programs usually have a setting to adjust the delay (or compensate and get the audio to fit on time)

if your program doesnt have any such feature, you will need to record the audio seperately and load it into the audio file manually.
and this can sometimes be the best result with high regards to placing the audio exactly where you want it.

i dont know what program you are using.. but if you cant find one of these two methods to work for you, maybe you need a different program that does it all.

i remember Ejay had the option to compensate for voice recording delay.
you could always pick up something like that used for cheap and input the source audio and record some vocals.. then save the project as .wav

if you are talking...

Judewang

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks soundguru,
However this does not completely resolve my problem. When I install Audition 3, I wanted to use it to dub additional vocal inputs using the multi-track. As such, I need to hear the original sounds so as to be able to synchorinize.
How do I do that, without having the echo interference. I have tried many thing - reinstalling the realtek program and configured it in such a way that realtek doesn't produce the echo. But the echo still continues. Do you have a solution?

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
audio programs usually have a setting to adjust the delay (or compensate and get the audio to fit on time)

if your program doesnt have any such feature, you will need to record the audio seperately and load it into the audio file manually.
and this can sometimes be the best result with high regards to placing the audio exactly where you want it.

i dont know what program you are using.. but if you cant find one of these two methods to work for you, maybe you need a different program that does it all.

i remember Ejay had the option to compensate for voice recording delay.
you could always pick up something like that used for cheap and input the source audio and record some vocals.. then save the project as .wav

if you are talking about adobe audition 3 .. i would be suprised to hear that there is no ability to compensate for microphone delay.
that program is expensive and i bought the ejay product brand new for about $60

maybe you need to hunt down a plugin that is specific for microphone recording.
it would be nice to see such a plugin compensate for recording delay as well as having background noise reduction.

recording the audio in small chunks helps copy and paste those clips exactly where you want 'em.. no?

Solution

Chinsane

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I use Ade Audition 3.0.1 on a daily basis. I will tell you right now, what you are using for sound is insufficient. AA3 is designed for use with ASIO, and well, a sound blaster card would work for some minor stuff, but onboard or nvidia hd audio (video card audio) will not work very well at all.

If you want to make music using AA3, spend the loot and buy an audiophile card from a reputable source (low end: M-Audio 1010 or Emu 1212m - High end: Apogee or RME ect).

The problem you describe is called "latency". The only way to fix this issue to change your monitoring source in audition. You cannot do this with the devices you are using now. You have to switch it from "Audition Mix" to "External", and your devices do not support external monitoring unless you are running a mixer in front of your computer. You need either a hardware or software mixer to achieve this. If you simply do not want to hear yourself through the headphones while you record, you switch that setting and it will eliminate your voice, but still record. The problem you have is a hardware limitation. I spent a month tracking down this very issue, so I am 300% sure of what I am telling you here. You are hearing the time it takes for your voice to go into the sound device, get processed by said device, then run through all the chains in AA3 to the output to the headphones. This is approx 200ms give or take of latency.

They have designed this program for use with higher end gear, but there is a easy solution for you. Find a copy of Adobe Audition 1.5. This version, altho old, will work with what you have I'm sure. I run 1.5 on my old Dell laptop for portable recording.

One other thing to note is your sound devices ability to go full duplex. Without this, you will have a nightmare running ANY multitrack DAW smoothly, if at all.

It boils down to, you need the proper equipment to eliminate the problem you are having. Adobe Audition is marketed to compete with the likes of Pro-Tools and Sonar ect. It is a very capable and powerful DAW, but needs the right stuff to get the job done. It is not really intended for the "beginner" or casual user. If all you want to do is minor over dubs, then use Soundbooth or one of the many freebies out there. These might work better with what you already have. Like I said, there is NO WAY to eliminate what you describe using what you have effectively. It will always bother you. If you get it in the session where you have no latency, then save and reopen, the latency will be right back.

And Nvidia HD Audio is the sound enable for output to your display. It's not meant to be an I/O device, as it only does output. And I'm only assuming your Realtek is onboard, which is junk as well.

Spend the loot and you will be pleased with the result. It is a learning curve for sure, but in the world of audio production, well worth every penny and minute you put into it.

Chinsane

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I can, did, and will again state that for the program he is using, the audio solution he is trying to use with it is insufficient. All he has to do is read the help files in the program and this is very well explained in there.

I have been using this program since the days of Cool Edit (yes...BEFORE Cool Edit Pro). Adobe bought out Syntrillium Software, and some of the engineers chose to stay on, and released Adobe Audition 1.5 as a rebranded Cool Edit Pro 1.0. Adobe Audition 2.0 was a beefed up, better multi-track program, which had some bugs, but was a spin in a different direction. Adobe Audition 3.0 is the first of the softwares designed to be used with ASIO Low Latency Drivers, which his audio solution DOES NOT SUPPORT. The lowest end devices on the market that have decent ASIO support are Creative Sound Blaster X-FI products. Even these, when in Audio Creation Mode, do not support External Monitoring, which is required to eliminate the issue he is having.

The devices I listed are what he needs to look into to use this program effectively. I have been recording my own stuff in my own studio for over 15 years now, and in the digital age 12 at least. This program has been my bread and butter since the word go. I have grown with the software and seen it go from a great audio editing tool to a powerful DAW. When AA4 comes out, the setup he is trying to use would not work at all, as the device support list I'm sure will get tighter, as Adobe is designing this to be used by higher end professionals, and gearing Soundbooth for home casual users.

I think I am quite qualified to speak on how to use Adobe Audition 3.0. I myself don't even know ALL of the cool things it will do, but know most of it. Nvidia sound is nothing new, as it was on the NV1 back in the day, but dropped due to bus and other issues. It is simply an output device. And even on Nvidias page, only the new GTX570, 580 support bitstream, the rest are Analog out PCM. It is not a true DSP on the video card, nor does it support ASIO. Realtek Audio chips do not support ASIO onboard either.

-----------------------------

To the OP, one thing to note, in a pinch, go get ASIO4All. This may help you out until you can get a better solution. This driver takes Windows WDM drivers and spins them into a form of ASIO, and it indeed works, but not on a large scale. You will be able to get 7 tracks in sync depending on how powerful your machine is. ASIO4All is free, and located here

amt01

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Hi found this thread while searching for "mic latency adobe audition". Its quite old so I understand I'll be lucky to get a reply - What I've read all makes sense - My current set-up is very basic - on-board audio etc. (I may try the ASIO4ALL).

What I want to do in near future however is to get a new PC mainly for video editing - but also to be able to record my wife and daughter singing - I will probably just be adding one track at a time - so the requirement is for them to hear all recorded so far - but also record a new vocal - and be able to moniter everything through their headphones. (with no mic latency).

Am I better getting something like the M-Audio Fast Track USB - would this allow me to do this? Would it work with AA3?
Or am I better with a dedicated sound card - like M-Audio Audiophile 2496 *(which is bit cheeper than the "basic" card previously suggested.

The M-Audio Fast Track USB if it works will at least allow me to use it with more than one PC.
Another problem I had with the internal card is that when puttin a PC together (from one of those sites that allow you to mix and match) I chose a good video card that took up 2 PCI slots - so with firewire the option to add another PCI audio card was not available - The MOBO had no more PCI slots. Go back and choose a simpler graphics card I was advised. I read PCI is on the way out - if that is the case what is replacing it for internal audiophile cards?