How to get 5.1 Digital Surround from PC ??

Ashimnil11

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
Hello guys.I wanted to know how do I get the 5.1 true surround connecting through my pc ? My DVD receiver is LG HT302.
I just wanted to know what kind of cable do I need... And btw my motherboard H61M-S2PV

Solution
you wanna install Realtek HD Audio Manager from here:http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High%20Definition%20Audio%20Codecs if you dont have already in Control Panel.one more thing manual show how to connect everything :http://,not sure about cables,cause to listen 5.1 surround soundy ou need speakers and sub.

kapitalistas

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
you wanna install Realtek HD Audio Manager from here:http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High%20Definition%20Audio%20Codecs if you dont have already in Control Panel.one more thing manual show how to connect everything :http://,not sure about cables,cause to listen 5.1 surround soundy ou need speakers and sub.

Solution
Your LG has only 2 channel analog inputs so you will not be able to get digital 5.1 surround.The only connection you can use is the green mini jack on the PC. You will need a cable with 2 RCA plugs at one end and a stereo mini plug at the other.
Set the PC for stereo or 2 channel output and try the different sound modes on the LG to hear which one you like best. This is likely to be different for different files and games.

@ Ashimnil11

Maybe I don't have a good enough imagination here, or too good, but I don't see your layout in my mind. Are you playing a DVD on that DVD player and trying to send the sound from it to your PC and from the PC to 5.1 speakers? Or get PC sound output amplified and played through the LG HT302? When I look up the LG HT302 it's not just a DVD player but the tuner / amp and speakers also.

So where is the sound signal starting, and what's the last thing it will go through on the way to the speakers? If you want the sound to go from your PC through the HT302 to 5.1, I think that Kapitalistas is correct; the LG unit has only stereo for line inputs.

Thanks

@ kapitalistas

Would you please check your PMs (Private Messages)?

Ashimnil11

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015

I only want to play games or watch movies... And im not using DVD's for playing.....and I tried to change Realtek HD Audio Manager settings but it didn't worked as well... BTW im using a AUX Cable and I get 2.1 stereo

kapitalistas

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
motherboard manual should show how to configure sound using Realtek HD Audio Manager.i gave link for motherboard manual i didnt dowload that manual ,but if didn't show then i can upload from different place.let me now!

Ashimnil11

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015

I couldn't find it in the manual... Please give a link for how to do it..

nukemaster

Distinguished
2 Channel is all you can get with the AUX in on that unit.

Now amount of settings in the Realtek panel will change it.

to get 5.1 you need one of the following.

HDMI
HDMI was introduced to bring video/audio to your TV, but has become big for audio only use as well in some setups(one cable to rule them all). This is a 100% digital setup and can pass 5.1 and higher channel sound with the right hardware.
Optical Audio/TOSLINK
Optical or TOSLINK is a fiber optic cable for carrying audio. With the right hardware surround sound can pass over this medium. It also has the advantage of being ground loop proof by design.
Coaxial This is another SPDIF cable similar to optical, but with copper instead of light transmitting the data.
Coaxial is another 100% digital cable that can carry 2 or multi channel audio with the right hardware. It looks just like a normal RCA connector on most systems
Analog Audio
The old fashioned way of getting it done. Each channel can have its own RCA type plug or 2 channels per 3.5mm TRS jack(I am not including balanced audio here because it is outside the scope of this post.).
This is used quite often on computers, but has lost favor on home theater equipment.
Analog audio has no content protection making analog in general not as common on newer HD formats that want 100% control.
Analog audio can work very well, but also can have more interference since unwanted signals that get into the cable can be amplified and played back on your speakers. Running shorter cables helps reduce this risk. Analog is not as bad as some make it out to be and is very diy friendly.

With your current setup, your best be would be to see if you have any kind of upmixing options on your DVD player(acting as you amplifier by the look of things). This is not true surround, but some users still like to have all speakers in use.

edited for a bit a of clarity.