How to get 5.1 surround

Pradeep Haridas

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Hi,
How to get surround sound on my pc from dvd player?
My player : PHILIPS HTS 6543 with 5.1 speaker.
Connection available in the player: HDMI, RCA, Coaxial.
My PC: with Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 sound card
I want to play (original dvd) movies & games with surround sound. is it possible?

Solution
since it appears that your speaker system has both optical spdif (digital optical) or coax spdif (digital coax) you could use either. do double check what your system has on the rear.

then.. whichever card you get would need to have one of these options. you would then need the respective cable for the one you pick.

this means either a spdif coax (digital coax) cable or spdif optical (digital optical) cable.

if you connect up in this manner, you should be able to get the sound data to your speakers.
i would use a digital coaxial cable from pc to sound system.

this looks like a coax cable (its thick) with rca ends. it may have an orange band near the ends. the connectors on the sound system and soundcard would be rca connectors with an orange ring labeled digital coax, spdif, coax or spdif coax

Pradeep Haridas

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

Thanks, my sound card have the blue, green, black and orange ports. is it okay? can i hear 5.1 surround through my pc?

below on the far left side is a spdif coaxial port i suggested that you use. it appears however that you do not have this. the port you mentioned is probably yellow not orange and is for center/subwoofer not digital out.
example+sound+card.jpg

below on the far right side is the optical spdif port AA suggested that you use. it sounds like you do not have one. after looking at your sound system specs again it looks like it may take this port without the need for an adapter box.
29-156-001-02.JPG

there are conversion boxes that you can get to translate pc 5.1 sound (green, yellow, black) to either spdif coax or optical however it would be worthwhile in your case to just buy a pc sound card which has one of these functions built in.

to get 5.1 out of your pc with your sound system you would need either an adapter box like i mentioned (not suggested) or a pc sound card which can output digital coax or digital optical (suggested) as well as the respective cable to connect with.

Pradeep Haridas

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

Thanks for the detailed information. So if i buy a soound card with optical S/PDIF out, i can hear surround sound? which type of cable required to connect pc to player? also request you to suggest a cheap sound card.

since it appears that your speaker system has both optical spdif (digital optical) or coax spdif (digital coax) you could use either. do double check what your system has on the rear.

then.. whichever card you get would need to have one of these options. you would then need the respective cable for the one you pick.

this means either a spdif coax (digital coax) cable or spdif optical (digital optical) cable.

if you connect up in this manner, you should be able to get the sound data to your speakers.

Solution

Pradeep Haridas

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

Thanks. Can you suggest me any cheap sound card? i have not found it online in india.
One more thing, my video card (NVIDIA 9500GT 1GB) has a HDMI out. is it possible to get sound through that?

typically i would have suggested using hdmi output and not getting a sound card....however i did not see hdmi input listed for your speakers which is common for cheap HTIB units. the hdmi was listed as an output.

any soundblaster or asus soundcard would work if it has the features required. i'm not going to pick out a particular model (since you can do this yourself).

Pradeep Haridas

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

What about this sound card?
ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card