Solved! How to get audio from a video cassette camcorder?

Dec 28, 2020
Over Christmas my dad dug out some old VHS tapes of my family from 20 years ago. Unfortunately the picture was very fuzzy but we could still hear the audio of what was happening.

My dad said the vhs tapes were a copy from a video cassette in his old camcorder (Sony handycam video 8, model CCD-TR45E), I fired up the camcorder and could see the picture very clearly with the original cassette tape, so I connected the camcorder to my TV using the AV ports on the camcorder (black and yellow) to my TV (yellow, white, red).

We can see the picture very clearly from the camcorder on the TV but unfortunately we cannot hear any audio (despite there being audio on the vhs tape copy) so I'm rather puzzled.

Any support on how to get the audio with the picture so we can watch these old videos would be much appreciated, thank you.

Solution
First guess is the wires are connected to the wrong places. Check the camcorder and the TV and make sure the audio out from the camcorder is going to the right audio in on the TV.