How to get Dolby 5.1 with Samsung (TV+Home Theater)+ DirecTV?

katofelinus

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015
I have my Samsung UN55UH6830 TV connected to the DirecTV box with an HDMI cable but the TV does not output Dolby Digital 5.1 but DTS Neo 2:5 because it is an "external source" and only "internal sources" like TV Tuner or Streaming output DD 5.1.

The only way I can get DD 5.1 is connecting the DirecTV box directly to my old Home Theater System with an optical cable. I am thinking of upgrading to the Samsung HT-J5500W Home Theater System (HTS) but first I would like know if the following setup will work well:

1) Connecting the DirectTV box with an Optical Cable to the Samsung HT-J5500W System.
2) Connecting the Samsung HT-J5500W HTS to my Samsung TV with a HMDI cable (ARC Port).
3) Connecting an old Laser Disc Player to my Samsung TV with a component Cable.
4) Connecting an External Hard Drive with movies (MP4 and MKV) to my TV through a USB port.

In Theory, I would get:

1) Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio from my DirecTV box and from the BlueRay Disc Player included in this System.
2) Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio from the movies (MP4 and MKV) I have in the External Hard Drive connected to my TV.
3) I will be able to change the volume with either the TV, DirecTV or Home Theater remote controls.

Will this work as described? Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks

Solution
The only device which should be connected to your TV is the receiver. Everything else (DirectTV, Laser Disk Player) should go thru the receiver. Get a cheap Roku for your hard-disk-based media.

Marla_

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
instructions state however that an additional connection would be required for direct tv to work through the system? I can't get this to work either.