Question How to get full wifi speeds from my Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235?

Jul 17, 2021
I have a couple of older Dell M2800 laptops with Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wireless cards. They support a/b/c/n and theoretical speeds of 300mbps, but I'm only getting around 30-40mbps on one and less than 10mbps on the other, according to the Speedtest windows app.

Windows reports that I have the latest Intel driver on each, but one has driver 15.18.0.1 with a date of 4/30/2015, the other driver 15.16.0.2 with a date of 1/6/2015.

My phone (Galaxy Note 20) connected to my home wifi gets 140-180mbps, according to the Speedtest Android app.

My router is a TP-Link Deco AC-1300 mesh router and one of them sits in the same room as the laptops. The TP-Link app reports a speed of 230mbps.

How can I improve the speed to my laptops?

Don't check the drivers from Windows, go to the Dell support site and get the drivers from there, or from Intel. It may be an issue with with the chipsets between the WiFi card and the router you are using. Have you tested the laptops in other areas not just your house, or in different parts of the house?

Jul 17, 2021
I have checked Dell, it says both are completely up to date. Oddly, the only network driver listed for this laptop says it's for different card models and has a 2018 date, but it still says it's up to date.

I also checked Intel, same result, all up to date.

I did reboot the slower one and it then said 40+mbps, but still not the 100+ that I should be able to get.

I'm sitting on my patio now with one of the routers (a different one than the before) right on the other side of the wall and it's slightly slower, 20-30mbps. Interestingly, my phone out here is showing essentially the same ~30mbps, where it was 140+ in the office.