How to get passthrough (bitstream) audio on 55MU7100 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcesHigh8

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
I am trying to get audio bitstreaming to work on Samsung UN55MU7100 Smart TV which, doesn't provide me with an option to pass through audio as is. It provides with options to turn the audio signal into DD5.1, DTS or DTS Neo 2.5. I must say TV does a horrendous job converting. I would rather have the TV to pass the audio to the receiver unmodified, as the receiver does a better job at playing audio; be it in the source format or by converting it to another format. It definitely sounds much better when receiver performs the conversion as opposed to the cheap codecs used by Samsung.

I have tried both HDMI and TOSLINK, both work the same way with no passthrough.

Is there a way to get the TV to bitstream the audio to the receiver. I don't mind optical over HDMI, but I need passthrough.

Just to add I do have the HDMI cable connected to the ARC port on TV and my receiver does support ARC. The fact that my receiver can play audio from TV proves ARC is functioning. This problem manifests regardless of the audio source - Smart TV apps or PC or any streaming device that can output any of multi-channel audio stream.

I don't mind a solution that requires hacking or rooting either.

Thanks for any help.

Can't find the manual for that TV online.
Most TVs only have Biitstream or PCM as options for audio output. The digital audio isn't usually altered if the TV will pass surround sound (some won't). The receiver does that with any digital input. TVs won't pass lossless audio codecs like Dolby TrueHD but that primarily affects BD disc playback.
You never actually describe what is wrong with the sound. When you play a Dolby Digital source and leave it as DD does it still sounds wrong?
If you don't want the TV in the audio path then connect your sources to the receiver not the TV. Won't work for smart apps in the TV

AcesHigh8

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
Here's the link for manual http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/UN55MU7100FXZC/

I forgot to mention that PCM is one of the output options on this TV. If I select PCM as the output I only get 2 channel output regardless of the source format.

I do have my devices plugged into the receiver directly, so for now the problem is limited to smart TV apps like Amazon Video, Netflix etc. which provide surround sound for many of the videos. I suspect that TV is converting to the selected output format regardless of the source format and it sounds crappy. If I use Roku connected to the receiver directly, Netflix audio is output in the source format and sounds good. The difference is quite noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS