How to get surround audio from my TV?

smecheru21

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Hello,

I'd like to know how to get surround sound from my TV.
I have SAMSUNG HT-4500R home theatre and the TV is LG 42LF76.
I have connected the TV with the home theatre via Optical Cable. My TV has digital audio out and the reciever has digital audio in, so I don't know why the surround isn't working. In the TV menu I switched to Dolby Digital and turned off the TV Speakers. The problem is not that I don't get sound at all, it's that I get only 2.1 sound. Also I switech the reciever to Digital Input. I really don't know how to get surround sound from my TV.

I also have a TV decoder (Humax) which has Optical Audio Out, and when I connect the TV decoder to my home theatre via Optical calbe I DO get 5.1 sound.

Why it isn't working with the TV like it works with the TV decoder?

Solution
The TV won't create 5.1 even when set to DD if the source isn't in digital surround sound do make sure the source is 5.1.
To check if the TV is the issue connect the Humax to the TV with HDMI and the TV to the HTS with optical. We know that you get 5.1 when it is connected directly so if it doesn't when going through the TV it's the problem.
Try any other settings in the TV audio menu even if they seem wrong. If you can't get it to work you may have to get audio directly from your sources instead of through the TV. An HDMI input switcher with audio extraction will allow you to do this.
The TV won't create 5.1 even when set to DD if the source isn't in digital surround sound do make sure the source is 5.1.
To check if the TV is the issue connect the Humax to the TV with HDMI and the TV to the HTS with optical. We know that you get 5.1 when it is connected directly so if it doesn't when going through the TV it's the problem.
Try any other settings in the TV audio menu even if they seem wrong. If you can't get it to work you may have to get audio directly from your sources instead of through the TV. An HDMI input switcher with audio extraction will allow you to do this.

Reactions: puppykicker
Solution