how to hook up Tapedeck/Equalizer/turntable to digital Yamaha receiver

jack.r.richards67

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
I have a Tapedeck/Equalizer/turntable that I want to hook up to a Yamaha Digital receiver RX-V571 in a way that I can record from the turnable to the tape deck through the equalizer.

My problem is I thought I had it hooked up correctly, I could record the turntable but it didnt sound anywhere near as good when I played back the tape . It seemed flat and lost a lot of oooomph

Can someone in point format tell me where to connect what. I founf a diagram for just the Tapedeck

I found one for just the equalizer and one for the turntable but I dont know how to do all three at once, it seems like I am missing something

jack.r.richards67

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

But I wouldnt hear the Tapedeck going through the EQ correct ??. So could tapedeck go to Tape Rec on the EQ and then Tape Play on the EQ output to the receiver ??

You are troubleshooting a problem, and you don't know where (if anywhere) it is. So, you want the "cleanest" audio path available, and this path excludes receiver. And I am pretty sure your EQ has both an input, and an output.

YOu will also want to make a test with and without the Equalizer as well. And you know that if your turntable does not have built-in RIAA correction, you will need a phone amp as well.

jack.r.richards67

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

Ok, setting it up exactly as you said with the EQ included and going from the Tapedeck back into the receiver (Audio in Port_). The cassette player plays fine, The record players sounds as if it was not plugged into the external preamp (but it is). There is next to no sound at the Highest volume..

Now if I take out the EQ, am i sending the Turntable--> Tape Deck and connecting the TapeDeck output to the receiver Alabalcho. ??

jack.r.richards67

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Well I actually took a diagram off google and without the EQ I put Tape Player out to the Receiver, The receiver out to the Tapeplayer and put the Turntable to AV6. Now The turntable plays perfect, the Tapeplayer records and plays perfect. So is there something wrong with the EQ ?? Where would you insert it now that you know this setup works ??

I changed it up a little and instead of Receiver out to Tape player I did Receiver out to EQ and EQ out to Tape Player. Nothing changed everything still worked but the EQ had no effect on the sound what so ever. Of course I wasnt using the play and record ports on the tape monitor part of the EQ either though

Shot in the dark: Your AV6 input on the received might be labeled "Phono" with built-in RIAA correction, thus "perfect" sound.

If you want to know whether this EQ you have works - try simpler setup, eg putting in between tape-out and receiver, and play with the sliders.

jack.r.richards67

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
I'll try that to make sure it plays with the tape deck but I know the EQ works fine with just the Turntable

No, AV6 is just one of the few other inputs I can use on the back of the receiver like AV5 and Audio, I know I needed the External Pre-amp because when I tried it when I didnt have a preamp in AV6 or Audio there wasn't much sound there at all. Hence why I picked up the preamp. Now the sound is fine