How to install FreeDOS on notebook?

dopeeqob

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
I bought brand new Notebook MSI GE60 2PE Apache Pro. So i don`t have windows just FreeDOS
When i turn pc on, all kind of <mod edit> comes up with "welcome to FreeDOS" and C:\>_ to type something, but nothing i tried from net works... only "install". Shows me couple of options such as Start graphical Free Dos installation, Start text-mode installer... (none of them makes any difference further on) just when i`m selecting one of them comes up "installation directories" - Source directory and - Target directory. It`s about some kind of "choosing packages". that`s how far i can get...
I downloaded freedos1.1srs.iso file, but that doesn`t get me anywhere from USB or CD..
I hope i made any sence and i`m sorry about my primitive language, just don`t understand much about this completated stuff..
Hope you can help me guys!

Solution

RealBeast

Distinguished
THAT laptop comes with Windows 8.1 pre-installed so your question makes no sense to me.

The only way to run FreeDOS on that machine would be to buy software like VMWare Workstation and install it with Windows 8 as the host system, which would only make any sense at all if you actually needed to run ancient software requiring DOS. If that sounds complex, it is.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

FreeDOS is a free and open source operating system that is compatible with MS-DOS. It's a very popular operating system for legacy gaming machines but can also be found on some computers that are purchased without a Windows operating system licence.

If you don't want to use FreeDOS (for many obvious reasons) you can either buy a Windows licence and install that instead, or try another free operating system such as Ubuntu.

Solution