How to install games onto an external hard drive so I can play them on a work computer?

unco27

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015
Can someone please point me in the direction of a step by step guide or explain a way to install games onto an external hard drive so I can play them on a work computer where I don't have administrator permission to install things?

I need to be able to alt tab out of the game when I have customers, so it can't be a method where I'm making a bootable external hard drive where I have to restart the machine to return to the usual programs.

These are for old pc games that I own the disks of, but will need to get a patch so I can use them at work as there is no disk drive for me to use.

I'm not very tech savvy, so step by step instructions would be much appreciated

PassMark

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
For most games it just won't work.
When you install most software, files and data get sprayed everywhere. Some ends up in the Windows folder, some in ProgramData, some in the Windows registry & some in the Program Files folder.

But if you Google, usb portable games, then you will find a few second rate games that can run from a USB flash drive (if your USB port isn't also locked down).

unco27

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015

I'm talking some really old games like pharoah and warcraft 3 and age of empires the conquerors. Is there any way to do those?

PassMark

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
Warcraft 3 isn't all that old. It was designed for Windows XP / Vista & DirectX 8.
I think it unlikely it would work as a portable application for the reasons described above.