How to install Windows 8 from Linux on new pc

Jakub1

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Hello, i recently created a new pc and installed Linux on it, only to install windows later. However I have a Windows 8/8.1 product key and I'm wondering how do i install windows 8/8.1 without a previous version of windows. Microsoft claims I need a previous version of windows to update/upgrade/etc. but I dont even have bakups of previous images(or it wont run) and now I don't even know of I can do it without buying a disc. Any help will be appreciated on how to resolve this issue.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Just buy a valid copy for the new PC. Install, and put that DVD away for future use.
If you go the Win7 -> upgrade route....the next time you want/need to reinstall...guess what, you have to do that all over again.

Just buy the new PC it's own OS.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Well...now you have a key, and no install media.
What type of key is it? Upgrade from 7? Educational? MSDN? Other?

Jakub1

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Just a regular upgrade key. I just figured it would work because I bought a key off him before and upgraded a computer just fine but this time I wasnt aware it wont upgrade from linux, or thats what Microsoft says.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Right. It absolutely will NOT 'upgrade' from a Linux install.

USAFRet

Illustrious

The install media is only a small part of the problem. You need a regular install license, rather than an upgrade license.
And for Windows 8, there is not the same downloadable ISO as there is for Windows 7.

Amazon/Newegg/Microcenter/etc....will gladly sell you what you need.

Jakub1

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
How about this, I have a backup for windows 8.1 on an external hdd, not sure if it has an image but definitely has all files, can I 'backup' this new computer with the files from my other build?

USAFRet

Illustrious

No.
1 license, 1 PC.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Just buy a valid copy for the new PC. Install, and put that DVD away for future use.
If you go the Win7 -> upgrade route....the next time you want/need to reinstall...guess what, you have to do that all over again.

Just buy the new PC it's own OS.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Laptop General Discussion 4
L Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 2
E Laptop General Discussion 4
Y Laptop General Discussion 0
H Laptop General Discussion 1
C Laptop General Discussion 0
mohsenajorloo Laptop General Discussion 1
F Laptop General Discussion 1
Voodoo12302 Laptop General Discussion 1