Paul O Carroll

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014
So I am very knew to the whole coding scene. Well I have an idea for a sort of Social Network sort of thing. And I didn't want to hire developers, so I decided to learn my self. I have started a project and selected Windows Form Application. I have to buttons and text box set up. But I would like to know how do I setup it up so that newcomers, click on something that says signup. And then people that already have an account click login. Now I would like those to be redirected to a new page ( which I dont know how to do ). But then the newcomers I would like to know how to make so they can make an account (also no clue). And then how to check if their password and email is correct when they comeback to login.

Also becuase I am using a windows form application, I don't know how to publish that so that it can go on the web on its own page. I am coding in c# and don't want to use html.

I also need to know how can I cope with traffic that comes online ( if ). Do I need to setup my own server rack( I would prefer to do that ) if so how do i setup it up so that the server can take the people coming online.

So for so many questions, I am pretty new. If any devs would like to work with me on this project that would also be helpful. Becuase when the site goes live, I will be looking to hire to manage the site. BTW I am 16. Just in case that deters you from working with me.

Any help could you please not just paste a picture of how to do it. It would help me more if you could post a paragraphs explaining each problem and maybe some pics.

But anyway thanks alot, wow this is alot of words !!

USAFRet

Illustrious
For a web application, large parts of it MUST be HTML. Some of the back end could be C#, but the part the user sees in the browser must be HTML.

How to manage lots of traffic? Host it at Amazon or similar.
You could start initially at some free host, but once you get any significant traffic, you'll have to pay.

Paul O Carroll

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

So your saying I need to know HTML, and you mentioned back end what does that mean. And then how would I connect their hosting service to the website

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes, you need to know HTML. A LOT.

Front end, back end.
Here...what you and I see is the 'front end'. What the user sees and interacts with. The 'back end' is all the code that talks to the database (you need to know database stuff too).

Having an idea for a social networking site is one thing. Creating it is quite another.

Paul O Carroll

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

Ok, So firstly what dev enviroment do i use to do all this. And how do i code in two languages and you said front end and back end.

Sorry for all the questions, it's easier on a forum to ask the question instead of searching for a website and hoping they have your answers. :) Could I use php ?

USAFRet

Illustrious
Dev environment? Whatever you are comfortable with.
Visual Studio is good (and free).

Your questions here are the bare beginnings of how to get started. Conceptual instead of actual code.

One thing a LOT of new programmers do is to start coding before they have an actual 'design'. A talks to B talks to C.
They'll get a couple of thousand lines of front end (visual) code written, only to find out it will not work with the database. So start over, wasting weeks.
Design first.

Paul O Carroll

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

I currently have visual studio installed cause i started in c#. How can I change it to html, or would you recommend php. And what you mean data base. I still dont understand front end and back end, How do I code the back end and how do i do the front end. Cause when I started with c# about two weeks. You just code there is no front or back ?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Your "Windows Form Application" would be the front end, in a client based application. (client based = something I have to install on my PC)
Where that form saves data is the back end.

For instance...here, or Facebook or whatever, has a huge database of user logins. 100,000, 1,000,000 or even 1,000,000,000+ rows. One for each user. Account name, password, last time accessed, etc, etc.

When you create a new account (username + password), it saves that data in the database.
When I come back, it looks in that database and says "Oh, this guy was here before, and his credentials (username + password) are valid . Let him in to see all the good stuff."

Now...there are a few hundred thousand lines of code behind this, but that is the general idea.

Trying to code this all yourself, with little knowledge is putting the cart before the horse. You are not even sure of what to feed the horse..:)

Paul O Carroll

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

Earlier you mentioned that I could use Visual Studio. How do I change it into PHP or do I download a new one

USAFRet

Illustrious

PHP Tools for Visual Studio
https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/6eb51f05-ef01-4513-ac83-4c5f50c95fb5

Paul O Carroll

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

oh yeah eh I have Express for desktop. It says I cant download it

USAFRet

Illustrious

Then maybe you need to look at a different version of VS>
VisualStudio Community edition.
"A rich, integrated development environment for creating stunning applications for Windows, Android, and iOS, as well as modern web applications and cloud services. "
https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/visual-studio-homepage-vs.aspx

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
I think what you're looking for is a mentor. I'd be fine with mentoring you, though you won't find help from me in anything appertaining to artistically driven details (i.e., I can't even draw a line by hand without a ruler or straight implement).

I'm going to assume that this isn't for homework. If it is and I/we find out, both you and I will be in trouble. Given your age and the fact that AP Computer Science revolves around Java, I'll share with you a link that explains a lot of what you want to do.

Here's the link: http://www.asp.net/web-forms/overview/getting-started/getting-started-with-aspnet-45-web-forms/ui_and_navigation

Paul O Carroll

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

Sure if you wanna mentor me, that would be great. Or even if you wanted to work on the project with me.