How to move apps to your SD card, or set the SD card as the default download location

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bapanmallick

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017

rgd1101

Don't

don't just plagiarize, cite the source
http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-1772970/set-default-download-location-card.html

Feb 14, 2018

Mar 3, 2018

Mar 3, 2018
you can use an app from the play store for moving everything. If you want to move your whole android i think you can change it aswell but not sure how. And you can change download folder in your browser

Apr 6, 2018

Apr 13, 2018

May 6, 2018

Jun 15, 2018

Jul 25, 2018

Jan 1, 2019

ibetooya123

Prominent
Jan 17, 2019
It depends on what phone you are using. For some brands of phones, there is such an options that allows to manage phone memory and SD card and move data from phone memory to SD card directly.
If you phone does not provide such a function, then you may rely on some third party apps. As far as I'm concerned, ApowerManager is such an app that may allow you move data and apps and I used it to backup my apps before. Not a bad choice.

Feb 13, 2019
I'm using a ZTE Tempo X with Android 7.1.1 The phone only comes with 8GB storage so you have to use a SD card for storage. I brought a brand new one from Amazon and can't get it to become "internal" storage. I click on Settings - Storage - and Save Location is grey as in you can't change it. When I click on the SD card the only options I get are Rename - Remove SD Card - Format as Portable - Migrate data.

Hope someone can help me ASAP. I've been reading this thread for a while and can't figure this out. Making me feel like an old man at the age of 32

Not all phones can have their SD card able to be "Internal" storage. First you have to be running a newer version of Android (6.0, a.k.a "Marshmallow, or newer) and many manufacturers actually restrict this option. Making it impossible to do on their devices.

Just so you know.

Also, just posting to an old thread may not get you an answer. In that case you may want to make your own actual question thread.

Feb 13, 2019
If you read my post it says I'm using version 7.1.1. Also the phone only comes with 8GB because they want you to use an SD card for the hard drive... Thought I made that clear.

stephen robert, that info doesn't fit for wanting to make the SD card "Internal" storage. That works for downloads, which is files, not apps. And while it can work on a few devices for apps, not most. This is why the site actually has instructions on how to make a SD card "Internal" storage.

Additionally, just because your phone uses a newer version of Android, doesn't mean it can make the SD card "Internal" storage. And they don't limit the storage on a phone to make it have to use a card for "Internal" storage, they do it to limit the amount of space they are putting in it, less cost for them. If most manufacturers 'wanted' people to be able to use a SD card as "Internal" storage, they wouldn't restrict this option on so many devices.

And, on top of that, there is a negative to making the SD card "Internal" storage. If you set up the card as "Internal" storage, then the data on it will not be readable by any other device. To access the data you would have to connect he phone to say a computer and copy it over to the computer from the phone/card. Otherwise only phone can read the data. Also, be sure you do not reset (hard or factory) the phone. If you do, then all the data on the card will no longer be readable, even by the phone itself.

Apr 17, 2019
If your device is running Android 4.x or 5.x, it is very likely that you will not be able to move apps to your SD card.

NO, you are partially wrong about this because with my Android Lollipop 5.1 I can move all the apps to my SD card and my phone is not rooted either.

Then your manufacturer must not have limited that option. That is what is key here. It wasn't used by most prior to 6.0, and after 6.0 many restricted it, even though the versions of Android do come with the option, they are removed by the manufacturer.

I am, however, referring to phones in the USA, can't speak for those in other parts of the world as the manufacturer's are likely under other requirements/restrictions in other places.

The only way to know for sure if your card can handle all apps, other than system ones of course, being moved to the card is to look in the phone's "Settings" and follow the instructions this thread or others on the site contain to try.

NOTE: Many newer devices will say they give you this option right when you insert the card, but that doesn't always mean it is making the card "Internal" storage. The only way to know for sure is to try moving apps or downloading apps directly to the card after.

For all others, if you have issues, problems, questions, about this and other SD card issues, I suggest creating your own thread with your question about your phone, rather than adding to this one. All phones are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.