Solved! How to plug in 4 mics with Separate channels into PC

64bit_Dude

Estimable
May 20, 2014
Hi everyone,

I'm making videos that involve 4 guys talking about things like screenwriting, movie reviews, etc -at a table. The goal is to record 4 different people- with their own lavalier microphones on their own separate channels- strait into the PC with audio software that allows me to control the volume levels of each microphone. Not everyone projects their voice in the same level tone so I need to be able to control the volume levels of each microphone. I already have two good Lavalier microphones with 3.5 MM TRRS plugs that came with a Y connector so that two of these microphones can be plugged into the same port (which then connects to a TRS converter for the PC). Although I don't think the Y connector will help me in this scenario.

Is there a way to connect all four Lavalier microphones into the PC – each on their own channel- with software to control the volume levels of each microphone? I want to be able to throw this audio file into a video editor when the audio recording is finished.

Thanks,

64bit_Dude

Estimable
May 20, 2014

These are lavalier microphones. they clip on your shirt. http://

Whats the difference between a mixer and a pre-amp? I guess there's no way to cut the middle man (mixer/pre-amp) and plug microphones directly into the PC?

Thank you for quick reply

A mixer is just that - a device accepting several audio inputs (mono or stereo. michophone or line level), mixing them, and outputting a single (stereo or mono) signal. You don't want that.

Depending on the sound cards used, you'd need a microphone amp to bring mike level to line level.

64bit_Dude

Estimable
May 20, 2014

I found this mixer with a built in amp on amazon. This should do the trick?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRGHEZ2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00JRGHEZ2&linkCode=as2&tag=barnacnerdg08-20&linkId=7c53a9bbba520b38b405bf21b92611f0