How to recover data from corrupted WD external hardisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajmehra300

Estimable
Mar 18, 2015
Hi...

I have Western Digital Passport 1 TB external Hard disk. It has got corrupted. When I connect to my Window 7 machine, my external hard disk rotates but my machine does not recognize it.I have checked External hard disk with other working cable as well but still it is not working . I have tried to recover data with Hiren boot cd ,. On hiren boot machine it is recognizing the disk. I can copy some data in form of dd format with data rescue but not able to recover data with this DD format file. I have used different softwares to recover dd file but all are giving error. Please suggest how can i recover my data.

Solution
Hey there, rajmehra300!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the WD My Passport external drive! :( However, since the HDD is still under warranty, I'd strongly recommend you to consider using one of WD's worldwide data recovery partners. They are your best bet at retrieving your files from the external drive.
Once you have successfully recovered the data, you can send an RMA request to our Customer Support. Since the WD My Passport is still under warranty, you should be able to get a replacement product from us soon enough.

Keeping my fingers crossed for your data! Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Is ddfile from ddrescue?
Is it image of all sectors of hard drive?
Ddrescue is good for copying disk with some bad sectors onto a new good hard drive of same size as bad drive

Run western digital data lifeguard 4 windows to test your drive
If it has physical damage reported come back for more advice

To recover data for corrupted but not physically damaged disk

Try piriform recuva and cgsecurity. Testdisk + photorecovery

See which gives best results with file names and folder names recovered

If data valuable stop trying and contact a data recovery copmany

Regards
Mike Barnes

rajmehra300

Estimable
Mar 18, 2015

Yes , dd file is from ddrescue using hiren boot cd.
Using DD file I have just selected some data size to generate dd file but recovering using other software it is giving error.

I have used wd data lifeguard, it is not detcting my hdd.

One more thing to add , my hdd was having locked using password when it was in working condition and now when I am using hiren boot cd , it is detecting my hdd but not on my local windows 7 machine. On Hiren machine , the wd uncloker is seen but it seems that particular section is corrupted. Any suggestion how can i bypass it >???

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Recently I was looking at a problem 2.5" USB hard drive which had the option of USB 2 or USB 3 or firewire module
(it had a usb 2 module)
out of USB tray using eSATA the hard disk passed the western digital data lifeguard 4 windows test but data was unreadable by windows
It seemed to be encrypted without requiring a password.
(so a dd or any other image would not be of any use)

Fortunately the usb was occasionally recognised and I managed to extract the data.

If the data is valuable contact WD for advice.

Regards
Mike Barnes

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there, rajmehra300!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the WD My Passport external drive! :( However, since the HDD is still under warranty, I'd strongly recommend you to consider using one of WD's worldwide data recovery partners. They are your best bet at retrieving your files from the external drive.
Once you have successfully recovered the data, you can send an RMA request to our Customer Support. Since the WD My Passport is still under warranty, you should be able to get a replacement product from us soon enough.

Keeping my fingers crossed for your data! Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

adinabel02

Estimable
Nov 18, 2015
Hi, You can use chkdsk command to fix your corrupted hard drive. It will help you to find all issues with hard drive and fix them as well. Just open command prompt and write chkdsk drive name: /F (type f to fix error). Let me know if you face any problem. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.