how to rename inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfba65

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
I have a VIZIO d43 d2 tv. I have the cable from the wall attached to the cable box and the hdmi out of the box to and hdmi on tv. I have an old vcr that I am using for viewing only. I have a coax cable for the out of the vcr to the coax (tv) input of the tv. Works ok.
I tried going in and renaming the inputs so that when I have company, they will be able to tell which input to select. I could not find a way to rename the coax tv input it shows up as cable, it does not show up on the screen where I rename devices. I renamed the ones I am not using to notused, So when I go thru the inputs I get Cable (the coax input, that I can't change), cable box, and 3 unused.
So, 2 questions:
Is there a way to rename the coax input? I would like to rename it VCR.
I have seen some tvs that you could mark the inputs so that you did not cycle thru the unused ones when selecting inputs. I did not see a way to do this. Is there a way?

Solution
Yellow is usually the composite video output. The white would be a mono audio output. You can split that to connect to the stereo red and white audio input on the TV.
Google for the owners manual of the VCR. It should show you how it would be connected.

lfba65

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Thanks for trying to help , but did not find anything there that will help me.
I have already rneamded "devices" as shown, but it does not give me an option to rename the coax connection to something else. It does not show up in the list where you rename devices.
Also, I did not see where it told a way to bypass inputs on the input/source list.
Maybe I am missing something?

They assume that the RF coax input will only be used with an antenna or cable hookup.
The "sort of solution" is to connect the VCR to the TVs composite video-audio input instead. That one you can rename. It will also give you a better picture.
It's possible that the TV will only skip inputs that don't have active sources connected to them. Some TVs do it that way so when you turn on the source the TV can only navigate to it then.

lfba65

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Surely I am not the only one with this type of setup. My vcr does not have composite, it is the yellow and white audio in and out (no vide0), and cable in and out. That is all. I really only keep it because someone gave me several old movies. I really do not watch but thought company might want to some time.

It does not skip the unused inputs. It cycles thru them and tell me no signal. I do have tvs that do as you said, but this vizio cycles thru the entire list. oh well, in the future I may want to replace this tv with a little larger one , but it is not very old.

Thanks

lfba65

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.