How to Resize Your Photos for Easier Online Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbozero

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Great article , I can also recommend https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/
Great program that adds 'resize images' to right click contextual. Been using it for about a month now.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
You can never have too much resolution. I hate images that have been scaled down (the 100% worst is when websites review a camera, and post sample images that are 1/10 the original size.

Sure the average screen may have a resolution of 2-3 megapixels, that does not mean that you need to scale the image down. Computers have the ability to scroll around an image. Uploading as high a resolution as possible allows people to view more detail. For example, on both desktops and mobile phones, you can view this large image, and can see all of the cuteness, especially when you have the ability to zoom in.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7372/13351430803_21a9254c3e_o.jpg

GarryH_Geek

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
All the resolution the camera would make is a crucial point of a picture, despite the technical troubles with big megapixels. So if you need a resize the only reasonable way is to use some software 1) with Lanczos algorithm or 2) with a possibility of step-by-step bi-cubical resize, using slight unsharp mask between steps. All other ways are just a loss of details, sharpness and overall contrast.

boletus

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Irfanview allows you to do batch resizing and renaming (and lots of other changes) at the same time for as many files as you want. Go to "File", "batch conversion/rename", choose the "save to" folder, add your files, and use the "Advanced" section of the batch conversion utility for resizing, flip, rotate, etc. Resize 1,000 pics in a few minutes.

And it's free and a 1.8 MB download. It has been around forever.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I agree, Irfanview is the best Windows software to quickly convert, resize, crop, arrange or calibrate your pictures.
I've been using it for ... ages ;) And found nothing else better since the days of Win2000/XP...

Sure, the interface is not very "user friendly", but once you understand how it works the ability to do operate on large picture collections very fast is extremely powerful.

And it only costs the huge price of ... zero.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
In all honesty, I resize just using MS Paint. It's cheap and basic and does a decent job as far as I'm concerned. I'm by no means an expert, just one of those millions of average users. Why spend money on something you already have the ability to do very quickly and easily? No-brainer to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.