How to Save the PC Industry

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robert123_74

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
While I would agree the economy and a general dislike for Windows 8 helped slow the PC Industry in the beginning; what you’re seeing now is a general shift in the way people access the internet (which is why most people bought PC’s to begin with) and a realization you no longer need a traditional PC to do it. You don’t need a computer to check your email, play video games, get on Facebook, update Twitter, buy junk on eBay or Amazon, read a book, or look for news. What is this “Work/Productivity” that you seem to envision people are doing at home? Most people are not Programmers, Content Creators, or running Home Businesses that would require a computer. Most people who use a computer for work, use it “AT” work and it’s supplied by their employer. If you’ve got a decent smart phone, tablet and a gaming console, what exactly does the average person need with a computer anymore?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
It is really more a matter of ATX form factor v new form factors such as the tablet as they are all personal computers which is a marketing term used when computers started appearing for use in the home. There was always going to be a drop in PC sales and that came to be pass after the release of the Core 2 Duo which made the ATX fast enough for the majority of users. It is possible prices may rise but this is offset by the fact the need to upgrade is three yearly as opposed to yearly. Water finds its own level and so will the ATX.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Some of these points don't make a huge amount of sense.

1 is a given. maybe not always followed through, but still a given in most circumstances. The art points out a single Dell laptop, when they offer at least 4 different LINES, with multiple laptops in each, all of which can be customized and configured.

I halfway agree with 2. Designs like the R7 are just outright dumb, much less user focused. The problem I have though is that he lambasts the Yoga for being chunky for a tablet, when it performs excellently under his criteria, it's an astounding laptop that can also function as a tablet if you wish.

I agree with 3, but it is mostly happening across the board, with 1080p becoming the standard pretty quickly.

For 4, I'm curious where's he's getting his numbers. There are a lot of great laptops with solid battery life [6-8 hours minimum], especially when you filter out non-haswell.

5 is his best point and the sorest spot for me as a computer user. the built-in input devices [especially the trackpad] are almost always terrible.

As someone who uses 8.1 on a multi-monitor non touch desktop, I don't understand why everyone harps on it only being suitable for touch. At its worst, it operates exactly like Windows 7, and at its best, it's much more intuitive and just fun.

I've never really understood the hate Win8 gets. It's a great OS and the first question in my head when someone hates on it is if they used it for any significant period of time. You can't get used to an entirely new interface by playing with it for 30 seconds at Best Buy. Once it's given a legitimate shot, most people end up liking it or simply being neutral compared to Win7.

byte_my_bits

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
My contribution, especially for the laptop market, is:

STOP PRE-FILLING LAPTOPS WITH BLOATWARE THAT KILLS PERFORMANCE, LOOKS STUPID, AND SEVERELY AFFECTS THIRD-PARTY SUPPORT OPTIONS (DUE TO MUCH OF THE INSTALLED SOFTWARE BEING "UNIQUE" TO THAT BRAND/MODEL).

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I haven't checked any statistics or even any surveys on the matter so this will be my opinion only. The most obvious reason was that the multi core processors became good enough for the common user. Most users that I come across do not know how to backup their computers or install Windows. These same individuals get malware and acquire problems fairly quickly. The average user does not like reading instructions or have the desire to become a well trained computer user. They run around asking for help when their computer runs into problems instead of learning how to prevent problems. When they see the prices at the local nerd squad to have it fixed, I have seen many in the past just buy a new computer. So one reason could be that the operating system is becoming more secure and lost one avenue of recurring sales. Other users are seeing the simplicity of using tablets without the hassles of becoming infected several months after purchase. The majority of users are not content creators but just content browsers. Why use a PC, with all the inherent complexity, that stops working correctly as soon as it gets infected when a tablet continues to work with a lot less effort or training? Therefore, I believe that the common user would not return to the PC as their preferred choice until it removes the majority of malware and thus it either becomes a closed system or a self repairing operating system in a virtual sandboxed environment. The consumer needs the confidence that clicking on a website link, opening a website, or installing any software will not bring them hassles and nightmares. Because business uses PC's is the main reason why most buy a PC in the first place. They buy it for educational reasons in order to justify the cost, and users become content creators to begin learning the office software to do assignments in school. Anyone would prefer to type on a laptop for content creation but what will an average user use for entertainment? Today we have cell phones and tablets that can easily text, email, video conference, talk, play multiplayer games,and move throughout the home without a heavier laptop. This may create the mindset that tablets and cell phones are cool but laptops are for mostly work. Open Office is good enough for many users and Apple is giving away its office suite with any new purchase. This may create another reason to buy a cheap android tablet over an economical laptop that may stop working in months. I believe the problem is way more complex to fix than build a better laptop with a touch screen for a low price.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
This article says in a lot of words what I have been saying for years, mainly about Acer, HP and Dell - pumping out endless dull low quality shit trying to chase the maximum profit from the least amount of sales. Here's the news, people aren't buying it, literally and figuratively. Produce higher quality and a lower price and profit per machine may drop, but you will sell much more and total profit goes up. This has been proven to work, Steam game sales are a prime example. The first company that breaks ranks and actually does this could very well be the next decades top tech OEM, so GO!

Jeff Krogue

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
I think they need to sell people on the benefits of a nice high res 22" all in one computer. The convenience of the screen real estate and convenience of a real mouse and keyboard.

MorkS

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
For most people, a PC from ten years ago will do the trick.

The average user wants to do the following, e-mail, browse the web, word processing and watch some videos (netflix, youtube etc...).

None of that requires the latest computer. To me, that is why the PC market is stagnating. The rest of my family won't upgrade to a new PC until their current one either breaks, or doesn't do the things they want it to do.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Windows 8 is largely to blame for the decline in sales of laptops and desktop computers, people do not want it and buy a tablet with Android on it instead or go Apple. Many are waiting for Windows 9 to see if that will be better as there hardware is good enough to last them until then.
You may disagree with my observations, but this is my experience of talking to laptop and desktop owners.

coolitic

Honorable
May 10, 2012
"1. get intel to lower cpu prices.
2. get microsoft to lower os prices. instead, microsoft develops software/app/media/games based revenue system.
3. end the display standards war and help higher resolution (and higher refresh rate) displays' market penetration faster.
4. bring a linux-based os up to ms' level like valve is doing with steamOS.
5. optimize all modern softwares for latest cpu and gpu architectures. this may be hard on coders but it's necessary.
6. above all: get intel, ms to end their monopolistic hold on (x86) pc market."

1. I agree
2. Windows 8 isn't too expensive, but a slightly lower price could help (along with making windows 8 not a pile of trash)
3. Not completely sure what you mean, but 1600x900 should be mininum and 75 hertz is easily achievable via display overclock
4. The only people that use linux are the ones that currently make up pc market. The people that dont buy pc's anymore (which are the ones that need pc makers need to get back) wont use linux, so I disagree with you. Linux is for people with more computer experience.
5. Optimizing software like that wont happen for a long time. The only thing in need of optimization are games, and most have adequate optimizations anyway. What needs to be done is to have more efficient hardware.
6. No. first of all, intel doesn't have a monopoly (just a majority). Second, MS doesn't have monopoly since they do business fairly.

EddieLomax

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
In the UK I would point the finger at too many retailers and manufacturers all trying to sell the same crappy £400-500 laptop.

The biggest retail store, pcworld has a woeful selection of PC laptops, the most expensive is £899 but is essentially just a mid range graphics card with a basic I7. Next to it there are £1200 mac laptops with more or less the same feeble components.

If you want something decent you have to then spend £1600 for a gaming laptop with components that cost ~200-300 more, too many manufacturers are shaving £20-30 off a laptop to try and be the cheapest and just creating junk.

Portser

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
All the mentioning of Apple is farther proof Tom's hardware still is being paid by Apple. Seriously, Apple has almost less PC market share then Linux does on a global level.

Status
Not open for further replies.