Solved! How to set resolution on set top box?

lfba65

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Trying to figure out what is best way to set my set top boxes. The boxes are all digital devices from Cable One.
One of my tv's is 1080p another is 720p. They both are connected with HDMI cable.
Some of the channels I watch are HD channels others are not.
I have tried to do some reading about this, but it has left me confused.
The boxes offer 4 settings
1080p
1080i
720p
SD

Since all my tv's are HD, I can eliminate the SD.

On my 1080p set, I think my choices would be 1080p or 1080i. From some of what I have read it appears It is best to choose 1080i and let the tv switch. But I am not sure.
On the 720p set, I am not sure which to select. . Some things I read say to let the tv do the conversion and set it to 1080i, but I am not sure about that.

SO what is the best for the 1080p set and what is best for the 720P set. Since on both sets I watch both HD channels and regular channels.

Thanks

Solution
Not 100% sure on this, but I think what resolution is output by the set top box is determined by which version of the channel you're viewing you're. For instance, I have four different versions of the same channel. In my area, Nat Geo is channel 109, 200, 819, and 1473. Channel 109 is standard definition and the other three are all labelled HD. I'm guessing 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Of course, this is also determined by your HDTV as well. No 720p HDTV is going to output a 1080p signal, so the HDTV will do it's own processing; either enhancing an SD signal to 720p or dropping a 1080p signal down so your 720p TV can display it.

In answer to your question, test each version of the same channel and see which you prefer. In my area, the...
Not 100% sure on this, but I think what resolution is output by the set top box is determined by which version of the channel you're viewing you're. For instance, I have four different versions of the same channel. In my area, Nat Geo is channel 109, 200, 819, and 1473. Channel 109 is standard definition and the other three are all labelled HD. I'm guessing 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Of course, this is also determined by your HDTV as well. No 720p HDTV is going to output a 1080p signal, so the HDTV will do it's own processing; either enhancing an SD signal to 720p or dropping a 1080p signal down so your 720p TV can display it.

In answer to your question, test each version of the same channel and see which you prefer. In my area, the various resolutions are all grouped together.

-Wolf sends

Solution

lfba65

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Guess there is no simple answer. Maybe it does not matter, I can not really tell the difference. Might be able to tell more if I had a side by side comparison which I do not. Oh well, guess I will just quite worrying about what is the "best".

I figured it out by swapping between two different versions of the same channel; BBC America (Standard) channel 114 and (HD) channel 919. Flipping back and forth between the two channels, I could tell the difference in image quality on a 720p HDTV.

-Wolf sends

lfba65

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

I just tried that. No matter the setting I can tell a difference in the 2 versions of the channels. But I can not tell a difference in the 2 settings on either version. So for me, I guess it really does not matter which setting I use.