How to set SD card to default storage J5

Ssenyonga

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
How do I set an SD card as the default storage on my Samsung Galaxy J5?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
If I remember correctly, that phone does not have that option. It was restricted by the manufacturer. However, I will include the instructions here, just in case.

NOTE: The phone must be running at least Android "Marshmallow" and not have been restricted by the manufacturer for this to work. If any steps are missing, or do not work on your device, then it has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then...
If I remember correctly, that phone does not have that option. It was restricted by the manufacturer. However, I will include the instructions here, just in case.

NOTE: The phone must be running at least Android "Marshmallow" and not have been restricted by the manufacturer for this to work. If any steps are missing, or do not work on your device, then it has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
  2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
  3. Now, select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
  4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
  5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
  2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
  3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

trainjoan.jle

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
When I go to storage on the J5, it shows the SD card but no three-dots, it just shows Unmount or Format. So I guess I can't really use my SD card at all. How do I find out what is on it, in case I want to keep it, if I DO manage to reformat it? Thanks for help. JE

trainjoan.jle

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

Looks as though I am stymied, then? When I go to storage on the J5, it shows the SD card but no three-dots, it just shows Unmount or Format. So I guess I can't really use my SD card at all. How do I find out what is on it, in case I want to keep it, if I DO manage to reformat it? Thanks for help. JE

That phone doesn't allow for running apps from the card I believe, hence no three dots.

You can still put other things on it. Photos, videos, music, etc. To view the card I would suggest connecting the phone to a computer via USB cord while the SD card is in the phone. Then open the phones SD card as a folder on the computer. You can then view and back up (to the computer) any files on it.

justin.marston

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
There is a way. I have a J5 and it just worked for me, though it was annoying and time consuming.

You have to go into Application Manager and change the storage for each installed app. Hit the "Move to SD card" option. It takes a while and moving the apps is slow and buggy. But it does happen in the end.

muselover96

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
Where is the application manager?
Thanks

Feb 16, 2018
Hey guys! I found out that this works fine for me. First I rooted my samsung galaxy j5...make sure its rooted..then download 'Link2SD' app. Use this App to move the downloaded app to SD. You can also remove unnecessary bloatware with a bloatware app once the phone is rooted

venik212

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Sadly and infuriatingly, all apps that have been moved to the SD card will be returned to the Internal memory every time they are updated. There seems to be no way to tell Android to keep the SD card as the default location, other than format it as internal memory. I guess they really want to force us all to buy their overpriced internal memory when we buy a phone, rather than use the cheaper SD card (which admittedly are slower).

karthikay.dixit.24

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
when i go to settings and select SD card an then select format. it only shoes format as portable storage and not as format as internal storage. what to do

karthikay.dixit.24

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
I want to use my SD card as my internal storage but when i click on format sd card it only shoes "format as portable storage" and not a s" format as internal storage" what to do net. and also my phone is rooted at android 7.1.1 so i can install any zip file. please tell