How to Setup a Laptop to Projector and Home Theater?

BlazeHN

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Hello friends.

I have a Laptop and a 5.1 Home Theater wich only have Optical Input (no HDMI input) and I plan to buy either Optoma, BenQ or Acer Projector. But I'm intrigued on how will I connect all this to get 5.1 sound from the content I send from my laptop (movies and games) and 1080p video on the projector. Wich kind of conection, cables, etc. I have to use? Do I need to buy an aditional receiver to solve my Home Theater optical input only problem? This are my items:

- Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad Y510p
- Home Theater: Samsung HT-E550 Optical Input only (no HDMI Input)

3 Posible Projectors (not sure wich one yet, suggestions?)

- Optoma HD131Xe - $747
- BenQ W1070 - $897
- Acer H6510BD - $750

I dont know if I need some kind or receiver (to send audio from Laptop to Home Theater), something like this maybe?

ViewHD Audio Extractor

Here is a diagram of what I try to explain :p

Diagram

Thanks a lot in advance for your help! =)

BlazeHN

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Thanks Wolf, but one question, dont you think "this item" could solve the problem too? It haves a HDMI input and a HDMI output and Optical (SPDIF) output (and its cheaper). Description of the item says: HDMI Supports Full HD 1080P + 3D and SPDIF supports Upto 5.1CH Dolby Digital 5.1CH, DTS 5.1CH & Dolby Digital Plus Audio

Also I just realized I wont have a way to watch my normal Cable TV :S where do you plug the coaxial end of traditional cable TV to watch on a projector? (sorry I'am new on this)

Solution

BlazeHN

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Whoa! I think that is EXACTLY what I was looking for, but one question, I plug my RF Cable TV part to that yellow Coaxial slot? (its an input slot?) because it looks kinda different (the slot and the RF part).

Additionally how will I select TV? I mean the remote only gives the 4 HDMI input options, where is the TV (Coaxial) one?

Sorry if my questions are noob ones =/

BlazeHN

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Ok I think I'm almost there, look at my next diagram:

Diagram 2

Looks like the only thing I need now its a way to plug in my coaxial TV cable to a receiver or a way to convert that coaxial cable to HDMI.

Wonder if "this item" could do the trick? Since it have a Coaxial Input and a HDMI output. (sadly its a big thing with many slots I would not need, wish I could find a "all in one" solution).