How to solder mic into 3.5mm stereo plug

NoctisVeritas

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
I recently damaged my headset cord from it being caught in my chair wheels (edit: FYI its a Steelseries Siberia V2 if its important)

I know how to solder the 3 wires of the headphones into the 3.5mm plug but I dont know how to do the microphone

dc4867e21fe3fb34afe80f959ba347dc.png

The headphone ones are the 3 wires on the left which are the ground and left/right channels

however I am not sure how to do the microphone.
I assume the white middle was ground and all the wires around it go onto one of the channels?

Here is the 3.5mm plug I am using

25cc6fa37f50764bb03309848e509d7b.png

I tried looking online but I can only find videos and tutorials showing how to do the 3 band 3.5mm plugs for the headsets that have the mic in the same wire.

Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but single jack with headphones and microphone needs sleeve, two rings and a tip (TRRS). The one you're holding is headphones-only (sleeve, ring, tip)

You can discover which wire goes where with an ohm-meter - you'll get same resistance between ground and L/R, and probably very high resistance between ground and microphone.

NoctisVeritas

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017

If I wasnt clear the headset had two separate plugs for the microphone and the headphones. I have this one because its for the microphone only but I have a second for the microphone only but I was not sure if that was correct. Is there a different find of 3.5mm jack I need for the microphone only? I also am unsure how to solder it.

NoctisVeritas

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017

Thanks I'll try it tomorrow, I tried dissecting the old jack and I believe the surrounding wire around the white wire is the ground and the inner white wire was connected to the ring and tip. Hopefully it works.

NoctisVeritas

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
Looks like I wont be able to find out because the soldering iron I have isnt hot enough to melt the solder I have for some reason.
Also when I stripped the wire and pulled off the outer casing some of the smaller strands break off, how much of a problem is that?
I also find it difficult to be able to split the wires between the mic and headphones easily but for now I am trying to use electrical tape to keep them separate.
I may have to buy a new headset.