How to switch from internal storage to system storage on Alcatel Pop 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
It is the system storage that is getting full, is what that is telling you. Which is the same as the "Internal" storage. Now your phone should be running the "Marshmallow" version of Android. If that is the case, you 'should' be able to turn an SD card into internal storage. Unless Alcatel has restricted it for some reason. Manufacturers do that sometimes.

You do need to start with a "Blank" SD card though. Why? Because when you turn the card into "Internal" storage, it will formate the card and encode it. Erasing any data on it already and making it only usable in that device. So make sure you take anything you have on the SD Card off it. Put it say on a computer or cloud account, until you are done with the change. Then you can...

Chloe_5

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

Well it says low memory, apps on system memory may be taking up room. But I can't switch to system to check

It is the system storage that is getting full, is what that is telling you. Which is the same as the "Internal" storage. Now your phone should be running the "Marshmallow" version of Android. If that is the case, you 'should' be able to turn an SD card into internal storage. Unless Alcatel has restricted it for some reason. Manufacturers do that sometimes.

You do need to start with a "Blank" SD card though. Why? Because when you turn the card into "Internal" storage, it will formate the card and encode it. Erasing any data on it already and making it only usable in that device. So make sure you take anything you have on the SD Card off it. Put it say on a computer or cloud account, until you are done with the change. Then you can download back to the phone and/or card. Once the card is set as "Internal" storage, you should be able to download directly to it, as you would the phone itself, and install apps on it.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Solution

Babyd

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
Im just trying to make my sd card the default storage on my device because im almost out of internal memory, but it wont even give me an option to change it.

If it is not giving you the option, even trying what I suggested, then your device doesn't have that option. Manufacturers are doing this a lot, and older versions of Android don't have it as well.

Another way you can free up space, which can add up btw, is to move music, videos and photos over to the SD card. I would also suggest copying those (and a copy of your contacts) to a computer or cloud account, so you have them just in case of problems.

The only other way to make the SD card work that way, which is not guaranteed and can actually harm the device, is to root the phone. Oh and rooting voids any warranty you have on a device.

I, however, can't give you advice on rooting. Not a fan. You can post in the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" Forum for rooting advice. :) http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html

Status
Not open for further replies.