How To Tell if I'm Being DDoS'd?

Jul 23, 2018
In the past 5 days, I've been experiencing huge drops in internet speeds.

I pay for 30/30Mbps speeds through Fios, in the last 5 days I've been getting anywhere from .12Mbps fluctuating to 24Mbps download speeds, while uploads remain steady at 30Mbps. Before the last 5 days, it's been perfect for almost 3 years.

At first I attempted to fix the problem myself by diagnosing connections, checking cables, testing various physical connections to ensure it wasn't cable failure. Next I tried to see what devices were connected, and disable them to assess whether devices were leaching off the internet, no success. After that, tech support attempted to fix things on their end, to which they assured me everything was fine, and it wasn't. After a technician came out and replaced the gen 1 ONT I had with a current one, the connection stabilized for all of about 30 minutes before it was back to spotty connection. After calling yet again, and being told it's being diagnosed and worked on internally, I was told a tech would be out by the 8th to assess the situation. Fios support tells me that there are no outages in the area, and for the most part there aren't any reported outages on down detector sites either.

All that being said, I have noticed that between the times of 5pm-8pm, the connection is stabilized. Perfect 30/30, and it stays like that for roughly 3 hours. Even when my roommates are not home during the day (luckily I get to waste my vacation time working on it, yippee) the speeds are sacked, so it's not a load related issue. It's a mystery, until my brother suggested it may be a DDoS attack.

It seems farfetched, but we play online with a lot of people, no surprise. In the past, some of the players we knew did launched DDoS attacks on others before. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we in fact are. I just wonder if it's possible we may be getting attacked and not even know about it.

Is there any way to check?

Solution

Contact your ISP. They will have more insight to determine if you are actually being attacked. If so, they could change your public IP to stop it.
Jul 23, 2018

I did, everything disconnected. Light was flashing. I assume have a new IP assigned would temporarily fix this?

kanewolf

Judicious

Contact your ISP. They will have more insight to determine if you are actually being attacked. If so, they could change your public IP to stop it.

Solution