Solved! How to turn on both integrated + discrete GPU at same time

division_9

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Basically my acer laptop comes with two GPU's, a power saving Intel GMA HD and a Radeon mobility HD 5650, I'm hoping to to turn on both GPU's at the same time so I can use my HDTV, External monitor and laptop LCD screen at the same time to make a threeway display, I'm not interested in other solutions as I don't exactly have a huge amount of disposable funds.

I'm not interested in hearing anything else besides what I'm trying to achieve here.

Thank you,

Solution
I'm not interested in hearing anything else besides what I'm trying to achieve here.
I don't think it's possible - your motherboard can only handle one GPU at a time, it's a design limitation. But your single HD5650 should easily be able to handle a threeway display provided you're not playing too demanding games on it (if at all), and the OS should allow this to happen (provided your ATI drivers support this multimonitor functionality - which they should).

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I don't think it's possible - your motherboard can only handle one GPU at a time, it's a design limitation. But your single HD5650 should easily be able to handle a threeway display provided you're not playing too demanding games on it (if at all), and the OS should allow this to happen (provided your ATI drivers support this multimonitor functionality - which they should).

Solution