How to Unlock an iPhone 5 on Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamyarv

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
I have iPhone 5 and received the unlocking code from Sprint. Will the procedure for unlocking iPhone 5s work for 5 too? If not, can anybody help on that please.

Solution
Yes, the procedure should be more or less the same. As long as you are not on contract, Sprint should be able to sell you/provide you with an unlock code.

kamyarv

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
My phone is iPhone 5 and the unlocking code is for this iPhone 5. I just wanted to make sure the procedure given for unlocking iPhone 5S in the forum is the same for iPhone 5. If it is not, then I like to get help on how to unlock my iPhone 5.

kamyarv

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
I tried the guide by tomsguideUS which was
e. If you receive the unlock code, then switch off the phone and insert the third party SIM in your iPhone before switching it back on..
f. You will see a blank box where you should put the unlock code . Tap on 'Unlock' button. Your iPhone will be unlocked instantly.

I did call and get unlocking code from Sprint. I tried the above but when I put the ATT sim card and turn my iPhone back on blank box does not comes up. What comes up says Update Completed. Your iPhone was updated successfully and there are few steps to go. when I click continue, the screen comes which says:
The SIM card you have installed in this iPhone is from carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not hardware issue with iPhone. Insert another Sim Card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information.
Well, Sprint told me that they give me unlocking code but they don't unlock phones. ATT says Sprint should do it and Apple says they have nothing to do with this.

By the way, My contract will be over in Nov 2. The phone I bought from Sprint had battery problem. Apple Care give me a new replacement iPhone 5. I took it to Sprint to connect and they said ATT is porting it and they can't connect it and talk to ATT. ATT says they have to unlock it and finally Sprint only gave me the unlocking code. SO, I'm stuck with no phone. I was hoping I can unlock it with the guide above, so ATT would connect me. Any suggestions?

mooneem

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015
hey, i have the exact same issue. did you find a solution to your problem? please share, thanks!

DwHix

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
I've NEVER seen Sprint unlock anyone's iPhone, PERIOD. one of the happiest days of my life was when I finally left Sprint (3 weeks ago) and stopped arguing with them about the fact that they can, but WILL NOT unlock my (3) iPhone 5's. I bit the bullet and bought 3 new phones and those are rendered useless (for now). I noticed they updated the "Official Policy" on 2/11/15 to reflect the new (now in place) FCC / CTIA policy to unlock phones going forward. They changed much of their misleading (LIES) language and simply say they will do it going forward on a phone purchased after that date.

It used to say something like "we may not be technically capable of unlocking all phones" or "Sprint has no technological process available to do this." and then there was a bunch of "facts" listed on the site to provide excuses that they didn't want to do it in order to hold customers hostage. Now it just says "Generally, if you have a device that was launched prior to February 2015 and it is capable of being unlocked, Sprint will provide a bill notification and/or text message when you are eligible to have your device unlocked. The bill notification will direct you to Sprint Customer Care who can assist in efforts to unlock your device. (WHAT A PILE OF CRAP. YOU BELIEVE THEY WILL PUT THAT ON YOUR BILL NOTIFICATION? YEAH AND YOU CAN KEEP YOUR DOCTOR!) then it says...
For domestic SIM unlockable ("DSU") devices launched after February 2015, Sprint will automatically unlock the device when it becomes eligible. "This policy is subject to change without notice at Sprint's discretion. Updated 2/11/2015."

So for me, even at "cutting my bill in half" (and in the fine print you have to turn in your old phone to them and buy a new phone!!!) I would NEVER user Sprint again at any price. BOTTOM LINE: JUST DON'T DO IT, DON'T EVER TRUST SPRINT, EVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER AGAIN. Anyone want to buy 3 iPhone 5s like new that can only be used on Sprint? haha, I could never recommend Sprint. Did I say never enough times?

iGuy

Estimable
May 30, 2015
Sprint does unlock phones. Sprint phones take sim cards. The only Sprint phone that has a sim card which can function without it is the iPhone 4S. If you remove the sim from any other Sprint device your service will not work. Period. There's a few of you giving mis-advice and I smh to that. Basically the way this works per the new agreement with all the major carriers. However, as it pertains to Sprint and iPhone particularly it goes as follows: iPhone 5 is only unlock able legitimately via Sprints International Dept. That is the same. Funny thing is this which most people don't know. Any other Sprint phone which requires a sim card will automatically unlock over-the-air when the proper requirements are met. I'm a dealer. I bought and sold a particular friend of mine for a temporary phone. She shattered the screen and since I own a repair shop I just fixed the screen and prepared it for resale. For some reason I decided to put a non-supported gsm sim in so I did. I received the stock message we all see when your phone activates,"iPhone Activated". That was very weird to me, so I put in another carrier gsm sim. No activation message but carrier popped up everything worked and the best part about it all is that not only does it work....IT SUPPORTS LTE ON ALL GSM SIM. Verizon iPhone's cannot do this. Which in essence gives Sprint LTE phones a step up on everyone but only after they are free and clear. So apparently the only reason that particular iPhone was unlocked is A. It was already free and clear when I originally bought it [the problem was it was before Feb 15th(the date the new unlock committee commence it's policy which obviously mandates compliance) B When my friend activated another phone on her account the iPhone was removed. Here's the catch. So if your device is paid for, which can be accomplished in many ways: Upgrading to a new phone(even if you've only had the old one for a month) As long as it's an upgrade. Not just buying a cheap phone off craigslist to put in place of your Sprint LTE phone. So that's the long version because it pains me to see all this uneducated ignorance on a subject that I deal with regularly. The funny part is some of my colleagues who are dealers have raised their prices of Sprint 5C and 5S to the same standard as the other carriers. All of this information is on Sprint site. They just don't give you the full details. It works lol. I sold that phone as an unlocked iPhone 5C. Not a Sprint iPhone 5C which sells for much less.

wickster14

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
sprint will not unlock any iPhones . the msl code does nothing for an iPhone. verizon is the exact same iPhone as sprints. verizon is unlocking the iphone4, iphone4s and iPhone 5. you don't need to even call them. i have called the fcc, cita and the consumer protection agency in my state. the cell code says they are to unlock all iPhones out of contract and left in good standing to any local carrier. sprint has a posted unlock policy which says at the end they are only giving msl for the iPhone 4s and 5.

katiegarxia

Estimable
Aug 9, 2015

Iguy, I have a sprint iphone 5c. It uses Nano sim card. If I were to put a different nano card from a different phone company in here, would it work with the new phone company? The iphone 5c in my possession is currently locked due to "bad financial standing" from the previous owner. Is there any way around this as well?
No. not until the phone it pay off, they will not unlock it.

cellfonepimp

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015
Ive unlocked many Sprint iPhones as long as you are the account holder(as of now). When this policy came into effect, Ive done it through chat and calling in the 888#, you have to say you want a D-S-U unlock (domestic-sim-unlock), many will act stupid like you have no clue what you are talking about and some will require some yelling, they will get the point and help you.

Before the shift in policy I did a few per day, since I am a store and buy these back from customers and sold/activated them we never needed account info, makes it harder cause now we have to pay to get it done.

Call this number at Sprint 855-899-7924 and make sure you are the account owner or have the info ready, they will unlock it for you. Again, make sure you say you want a DSU unlock be clear abou domestic use it works 100%

Mike753

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015

What about if im not the owner :( i mean its a clean ESN just dont know the owner information

ems276

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015

Ditto to that. I bought a phone from craigslist, met the guy at the Sprint store, they said it had a good MEID so I bought it. Several hours later, I find out that the previous owner's account is NOT in good standing and that they won't unlock it. Of course, the seller wants nothing to do with me... What options do I have? I did get an MSL number from the very first guy I talked to at Sprint support but I don't know what/how to do with it...

Robertn84

Estimable
Nov 25, 2015
I've been trying to unlock my Sprint iPhone 5 to sell on eBay. I just talked to Sprint for the 7th time. I talked to so many different people at the 855-899-7924 number. The first few times I called, they gave me the MSL number and said I could go into any other provider and they would unlock it. That didn't make much sense to me, so I kept reading on forums. I then called back and they said the phone cannot be unlocked for domestic use with other carriers. That didn't make sense for me either, so I kept reading. I then called back today, which is good because there was a supervisor there (in the Philippines), and she said she put through a request to unlock it for domestic use, the D-S-U unlock. She said I just need to wait a few days, and it will be unlocked.

She then asked me if I would rate Sprint a perfect 10 for their service, and I told her she's nuts.

Luckily, my wife has a Verizon phone, so I am going to put her SIM card into my old iPhone 5 to see if it works. Fingers crossed.

Tung__99

Estimable
Dec 1, 2015

--------------------
You are absolutelty right about the sprint stupid excuse about the unlocking policy. I was one of the hostage taken by sprint for 5 years. I called many times after my contract was over and they always said they don't have the technology to unlock the phone but now they saying phones purchase after February 2015 will unlock automatically when eligible. These bunch of liars working for sprint hope to find a better job then keep lying about the fact that sprint has no technology whereas all other carriers able to unlock their phone right away. There is no rocket science to figure out why sprint lost 30% of their customer due to their greedy business policy.

spottedbass

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015

Please let us know if your phone gets unlocked. I am in the same boat right now.

Michael_129

Estimable
Dec 3, 2015
Today I unlocked my Sprint iPhone 5s. (not the 5)

***Sprint confirmed to me that the phone was unlocked.

-First I restored to factory settings within the phone
-Then I connected the phone (with the Sprint SIM card) to my iTunes
-Then I set up as new iPhone and Restored with iTunes (this took like 20 minutes) iTunes downloads the software and then restores the phone.
-Then iTunes gave me a message that said "Congratulations your iPhone is now Unlocked"

and then...it FINALLY worked with my AT&T SIM card

That's what worked for my 5S, not sure about the 5
good luck

MrsKarla

Estimable
Dec 18, 2015

Yep, I got the same message for the iPhone 5C... I just got to find another SIM card to use to see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS