How to unlock memory card for camera

Woody62

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
My Canon, Digital IXUS 60 is telling me that the memory card is locked, it won't allow me to remove or take any photographs, how do I unlock it please?

hawkins

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
A locked memory card will not allow you to write to the card; however, you will be able to read from it. Unlocking the card will allow you to delete files and write to the card. You will want to unlock it before inserting into the camera since this will allow you to store folders or files as well as take pictures with your camera.

Instruction
1 Look at the sides of your memory card for a tab in a slot.

2 Move this tab up or down to put it in line with the icon that is on the card of an unlocked padlock. This unlocks your memory card. You will want to make sure it is always unlocked before using it in your digital camera; otherwise, it will not save your photos.

3 Insert the memory card back into your camera after unlocking to start using it to store pictures.

4 Take the memory card out when done.

5 Move the tab on the memory card back to the closed padlock to re-lock it. This is not mandatory; however, it will ensure that your photos do not get deleted if other people have access to your camera. You can store the card in the camera or the case that came with the memory card.

Thanks,

Consumer Reports Digital Cameras | Digital Cameras