How to use laptop with broken GPU?

AgentCoulson

Prominent
Feb 10, 2017
Hello folks!

Anyone know how I could connect to a laptop that has a broken GPU? Or is the GPU essential for even command-line interfacing?

Thank you in advance.

PC-4LIFE

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016

What makes you think he has an expensive laptop?

Even cheap £300 laptops can have a dedicated GPU, granted not a fast or recent one.

AgentCoulson

Prominent
Feb 10, 2017

I don't want to buy a graphics card right now, I just want to know if there is a way to interact with the machine without a GPU.

Ah-ha. So what you're saying is motherboards come with integrated GPUs for command-line interfacing?

No, that is not true. The first AMD processor that has integrated graphics are known as APUs and they were released back in 2011. The first Intel processor that has integrated graphics was also released in 2011; starting with the 2nd generation Sandy Bridge Intel CPUs.

If you meant "laptops" instead of "processors", then yes, laptops with Intel processors did have integrated graphics prior to 2011, but they were integrated in the chipset, not the processor itself. The first Intel integrated graphics core was called Intel Extreme Graphics released back in 2001 in the Intel 830M and 830MG chipset.

There is no such things as AMD integrated graphics prior to the release of AMD's APUs. APU is an acronym that AMD coined for their processor that includes both CPU and graphics cores. Intel simply calls them CPUs. All laptops which had an AMD processor prior to the release of the APU simply had dedicated graphic chips embedded into the motherboard. The first AMD (actually ATI before AMD acquired ATI Technologies) dedicated graphic chip for laptops is the Rage LT (Rage II) which was released back in 1996.