How well will this run games? i need a laptop that isnt to big or heavy as id like to use it for school as well

GreenPls

Estimable
Nov 29, 2014
How well will this run games?

i need a laptop that inst to big or heavy as id like to use it for school as well. So it doesn't need to run every thing on ultra, but medium to high would be preferred.

Do you think this laptop could do the job? il play games like H1z1, league of legends, minecraft. and a few other little steam games

Lenovo Y50-70 Laptop - 59421861

Processor
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Operating system
Windows 8.1 64
Display
15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare Backlight (1920x1080)
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB
Memory
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Hard Drive
Hybrid 500GB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD
Optical Drive
None
Network Card
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
Bluetooth
Bluetooth Version 4.0
Warranty
One year
Battery
4 Cell 54 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion
Supported Features
Motion Control
Keyboard
Keyboard French-English

my budget is $900 ( max )

Elemential

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
Oh yes the lenovo y50
I was checking it out yesterdau
Really nice Laptop
It should be able to run games over 45fps Medium to Low or maybe a bit over 30-25fps on Medium-High but this is just an average. It all depends on what games you plan to run

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
The CPU is plenty for modern gaming, even at higher settings.

The graphics card is a little underwhelming, but you should be able to pull medium graphics out of it provided you tweak things a little in the settings menu.

This is not a future proof laptop, those graphics combined with a 1080p monitor will not allow you to play some games on high settings at smooth frame rates.

Be aware, that Lenovo is currently embroiled in a controversy over having malware installed on their computers (See "Superfish" on google).

Tanner Fredrickson

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
It depends on the game.

New games will be medium, or high for well optimized ones.
A couple crap-optimized games like AC Unity will be at low settings.

Older or lower-spec games will be ultra.

It's always hard to reach a consensus on how well a PC will run "games", because the word " games" implies anything from 2000 to 2015, anything from Quake to Battlefield 4.

It would be better if you listed a few of the games you want to play.

tiny voices

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
A 15.6in laptop that weighs 5.29lbs is certainly not small or light. It is a great laptop for your needs performance wise, but know that it might not fit in a regular sized backpack easily. I carry around a 14.1in laptop that weighs 4.1lbs and it is still a pain, and a 15.6 would certainly not fit in my backpack.

Also, didn't mean to down vote you. Accident.

GreenPls

Estimable
Nov 29, 2014

I play games like H1z1. league of legends, dayz, minecraft. and some other little steam games. thanks for your help

D

Deleted member 1697763

Sorry - just say that in the original post now :). For that much, the lenovo is probably the best laptop you can get, unless you want to drop the GPU for a better CPU.

Tanner Fredrickson

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
League of Legends and Minecraft would run flawlessly on ultra, of course.

Not sure about h1Z1 or DayZ, but the Lenovo Y50 does exceed the recommended specs, so theoretically it should run them on high-ish settings.

There's a cheaper i5 version of the Y50 that would offer basically the same gaming performance, which is what the other person is recommending, and it's still excellent for college work. There are just a couple games where it would perform a little worse. On your budget it would probably be a better option.

The Y50 has great specs for the price, but a poor screen. You could order a better screen for $80 at some point... Just so you know. It's easy to replace. The money you'd save getting the i5 version would probably cover that.

Tanner Fredrickson

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
@Tinyvoices

Having a hyperthreaded dual core won't hurt anything in this case. You'd need a 965m or higher to notice the difference. The i5 version is fine with the 860m, and sits at an unbeatable price/performance ratio. Only $800-$850 for a mid-range gaming laptop is amazing.

Brillis Wuce

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014
Sorry, GreenPLS, didn't see your earlier post. Just google this, and the Newegg page is at the top.

Lenovo Y50 (59428533)

@ Tiny Voice - good point. I didn't see that. Hyperthreading is great and all, but it's still not equal to a quadcore. If the budget is $900 anyway, I'd just go for the i7 in this case.

tiny voices

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
The majority of games do not use hyperthreading at all. (this is why a desktop i5 and i7 are same in games)

The i7 will blow the i5 away in any games that uses more than 2 cores. (this is the same as comparing a desktop i3 to a desktop i5)

Some games like LoL and MC will show no difference, but games coded to use 4 cores like DayZ, Farcry 4, BF4 just to name a few will show a difference despite the lower end graphics card.

Good example: I switched from an i3 to an i5 when I was using a gtx660ti. Some games showed no difference while other games like BF4 increased like 50%. It all depends on the games OP wants to play.

GreenPls

Estimable
Nov 29, 2014

i cant seem to find an i5 version of the Y50, could i maybe get a link?