HP 15-390nr Beats Special Edition Slow

Apr 4, 2018
I am about at my end with this laptop. It has an AMD Quad-Core A8-5545M APU, 8GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 DIMM), AMD Radeon HD 8510G graphics, and
1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart. I originally bought this laptop with Windows 8.1 and had a free upgrade to Windows 10. So it has had 10 for almost a year and no matter what settings I change, no matter how clean the system is it's still super slow. With a fresh install of 10 it takes about 6 minutes to even let me log in, (because it freezes on login screen) then when it does log in it sits for about 20 minutes at 100% disk usage. Most times it just freezes entirely and becomes unresponsive. I've swapped the HDD and ram and the problem persists. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 4, 2018
The CPU temps are normal. But I'm not sure how to check the health of my HDD. Every time I've run the disk defragmenter it comes up with about 1.5Gb of defragmented files when I haven't hardly done anything with the laptop since the last time. Maybe the hard drive is bad? But that would mean the other hard drive I switched to is bad also..