Solved! HP 250 G3 doesn't turn on after plugging usb drive.

alexakis99

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hello everyone,
My friend gave me his laptop to try to fix it since it doesn't power on anymore.What happened was,he plugged in a USB drive to watch a movie and the computer froze.He couldn't get it to shutdown so he removed the battery.Ever since,it doesn't power on.The power LED comes on for 5 seconds and the it stops.I can't hear any moving parts like HDD or CPU Fan turning.I have tried CMOS reset,holding the power button for 1 minute without power connected or battery,changing RAM slot,testing another RAM stick,removing the USB connector from the motherboard in case some fuse went off.
No luck...
Any advice for what to do?
Thanks

Solution
Just connecting a USB shouldn't cause this. Nor should just taking a battery out. Unless your friend damaged something when they pulled the battery or even fried something.

Have you checked to make sure there is nothing burnt/fried on the motherboard? Have you also checked to make sure they didn't disconnect anything else when the disconnected the battery? Both happen all the time.
Just connecting a USB shouldn't cause this. Nor should just taking a battery out. Unless your friend damaged something when they pulled the battery or even fried something.

Have you checked to make sure there is nothing burnt/fried on the motherboard? Have you also checked to make sure they didn't disconnect anything else when the disconnected the battery? Both happen all the time.

Solution