Hp 2570p loud fan no screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2018
I bought this laptop HP Elitebook 2570p a couple months back with an issue where it couldn't charge the battery. I continued using it for about 3 months until I decided to change the motherboard so I could actually get it charging the battery.

Here's where my issue starts. I reassembled the laptop with the new motherboard inside and the fan spins loud and there's nothing on the screen. I tested ground connections on the board, reapplied thermal comp in case it was overheating, and nothing. I removed and replaced ram without effect. also put in the old mb to see if I could get it working but nothing.

I've looked around for solutions to my problem and I've found pages without a solution. There's a factory reset button sequence that I tried and that didn't work either.

The most recent thing I've tried is loading the drivers for my laptop but I've only tried using a USB with these files http://
The method I'm using I got from this page http://

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a novice at computer repair and only wanted a decent school computer but ended up "Fixing" (breaking) it.

Here's a video of my laptop starting up: http://
Lights are flashing and there's a delay in the fan starting up.

Solution
Can't say. It has me quite curious if it is multiple problems all at once. Which can happen, or just something small that is being overlooked.

Were it me, I would see if a tech would look at it and give you idea of cost and issue, if it is just one issue. Or if, in the end, there is so much going crazy that it is better to start new.
Aug 31, 2018

I tried an external screen, it wouldn't pick anything up from the laptop. the screen didn't detect anything from it as the standby light was on

Aug 31, 2018

Yeah I tried checking the cable and it works fine with my desktop,both ends are fine. laptop isn't sending anything to the screen. But, you might be right about it being a motherboard problem that's as much as I know

(I will give it another look and update if I find anything)

Aug 31, 2018
I checked inner wires to the screen and those were fine. Along with that, I looked around all of the ground screws to see they were all in, Might there be a way for me to find out if I'm missing one? Maybe a Diagram...
Oh, one more thing! I tried booting the laptop again I'm trying to use a different USB to load the bios into the board because maybe I was using usb2.0 when It required a 3 ( This is what I think I'm really missing) but I'm not getting any luck. I'll still be trying ways to boot the screen there's a small light by the Tab and Caps key along with the Home key on the top right.
Currently moving the ram to see if it will start with only one stick
Thank you for the help so far

Aug 31, 2018
BIG UPDATE.
I looked over the board once more and found a blown (2r2d) component. I switched this "new" motherboard out with my old one that still has this piece intact, the motherboard I have in now has been known to run it just can't charge a battery.

Still, the outcome is the same I go to turn it on and no screen and a loud fan, I figure I have to load bios through a usb but haven't been successful. I didn't see any damage to the (2r2d) component on this after turning it on, but i'll keep from meddling with it until I have a proper idea on booting bios without breaking something.

Apologies on posting in bursts i never find much time to work on it, and I really go at it when i'm able.
G4eHHc9.jpg

Aug 31, 2018

I think it's strange too. It should still have a bios on the previous board to start up on and show it on boot. The GPU is integrated, no separate gpu.

What if it was wiped? there's a battery on the motherboard that got disconnected during the swap on both boards.

Still thinking about what could make the screen not work, the whole laptop doesn't seem to run but the fan. Really odd.

Aug 31, 2018
You have a point there, I've been looking around the screen portions of the motherboard to see if anything is wrong with it. My tests show voltage and continuity going to the screen but no result. On top of that, I can't find a reason for the fan to still be turning at full speed because there's heat compound on the chip.

My guess is that both boards were wiped during the swap and don't know how to function until I make a boot disc, or drivers, or firmware something.

I'm really curious now, if I was to turn this in to a computer repair shop, would they have as much trouble as i'm having? and I wonder what they might find to be the solution.

Can't say. It has me quite curious if it is multiple problems all at once. Which can happen, or just something small that is being overlooked.

Were it me, I would see if a tech would look at it and give you idea of cost and issue, if it is just one issue. Or if, in the end, there is so much going crazy that it is better to start new.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.